Make it obvious that a game is rated or not

I had recently played a custom 2v2 and i played like my life depended on it, but after winning we found that the host had set the victory condition to sandbox, as you can imagine this was very disappointing.

This was a problem i had when starting FAF and im sure many new players continue to struggle with as well, im shure many will say that you can check the settings yourself before every game but thats not very convenient and has no use if you dont know what makes a game rated or not to begin with.

A fix for this would be to have a green or red light somewhere obvious to see in the lobby, green means rated and red means unrated, or somthing to that effect.

Does anyone else think this would be usefull?

It's not about being usefull, it's just not possible from a technical perspective.
The game lacks some information about rating the game that only the server has: are all selected mods rated? is the map rated? is the featured mod rated?

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

Here's your best friend f4731f06-0b6d-4c2e-8a8d-a036b9981aad-immagine.png

It won't tell you directly if the game is ranked or not, but you can at least check if the host has put some option that will unrank it... you can always just ask while in lobby.

It's not perfect, but try out the Supreme Scoreboard mod. It has an indicator of if the game is ranked or not. To be clear, it will not catch everything, that's pretty much impossible like Brutus said, but it'll at least catch things like game settings that invalidate ranking the game such as sandbox.

Edit: This only helps in game, but in the lobby you can do what deletethis said and catch a lot of things there. I think the only thing that misses is unranked maps. Any sim mod, unit restrictions, or game setting that moves you away from default game conditions keeps it from being rated. So so things like a non assassination victory condition, no fog of war, etc unranked but things like changing the unit cap or number of timeouts do not unrank.

@zukko said in Make it obvious that a game is rated or not:

I had recently played a custom 2v2 and i played like my life depended on it, but after winning we found that the host had set the victory condition to sandbox, as you can imagine this was very disappointing.

Doesn't change the fact that you had a good game and won! No need to feel disappointed.

I play unrated games often vs other players. What I would recommend you do is in the lobby, activate the 'hide default options' checkmark, that will let you see anything out of the ordinary easily, like the game being set to sandbox.

Few months ago I used modified kyros lobby client to show is map ranked or not just be adding prefix by [R] or [U]. R with default settings always rating game. May be show is map ranked can be good in general.