Bored with 5x5 maps - why I am considering quitting FAF

@ftxcommando "I never said this was because you were mad about losing."

The entirety of the rest of your post only makes sense if that is what you think! You're so obsessed with this idea that when I say I want a variety of maps I really mean "I want to lose less" that you tell me I am lying to myself and therefore to you about it. You simply can't believe I just get bored of the same 5x5 maps...

I completely get that if you screw up a build order on a larger map you still suffer, just like a 5x5 map - and that you may not realise it simply because the map size makes the defeat slower to arrive. I just don't think these correct points do anything to answer my actual point which has nothing to do with me losing on 5x5 maps and winning on others.

No, the entirety of my post is about how the mistakes you make will lose you a game on any map size so your rationale on a lack of variety is baseless. There is no variety in a loss at minute 3. The point of smaller maps at lower rating levels is to make it more evident these are the failures in gameplay causing game losses. As you get better less blunders exist and you add layers of additional complexity to the game so that players have more room for mistakes which in turn is what creates the real variety in gameplay as people are making proper tradeoffs between viable tactics.

well maybe he prefer to lose on 20x20 than on 5x5 (a bit like player that skip the tutorial, because they want to play with all the toys, even if they can't really handle them). But as Tagada said, i'm not sure that's how other rating of his range are feeling. There were some result of poll about that i think.

Yes, it isn’t how people at his rating range feel. I already linked the poll used to create the breakdown of the current system in aeolus when I talked with the guy there so I didn’t want to bother to bring the subjectivity of preferences up.

losing on 20x20's is depressing. You slowly get abused with 1% map control

The embodiment of depression...

@tomalak At least hold on until the new Player Councilor is here and has had an opportunity to tell what he is actually going to do, who knows you might get a 10x10 ladder option.

Secondly, when the game starts you can say you dislike 5x5 and ask for a draw (middle diplomacy button). Last month I have gotten and agreed to such requests 2 times. This may reduce the amount of 5x5 you need to play.

Lastly, you could try to develop a cheesy rush build for maps you dislike. I dislike Williamson's Bridge and always rush there (1 mex, 1 pgen, 1 fac). Even if the cheese gets you a 33% winrate, you dealt with the map fairly and quickly.

The op has played more 10x10 games on ladder than 5x5

Please don't drag the PC election into this, it is unbecoming and very bad form especially when what you thought might happen with new PC is already happing now

If someone is running for election proposing a solution it's very bad form to say so??

It's bad form to say that someone might do more 10x10s when you have done 10x10s the most

5x5map is kind for newplayer,10X10 need kills,20X20 map is the most hard map

I feel you. When I started playing ladder I also prefered the larger maps. Fortunately for me rating brackets didn't exist back then. So 500 rated players got to face each other on seton's. But low rated one who prefer large maps are a small minority. Even in the higher rated brackets many people dislike playing 20x20. Looking at you @grimplex.
Unfortunately it is impossible to curate a ladder pool everyone is happy with. Most people are always unhappy about the pool.
Just FYI 20x20 is just as retarded as 5x5. Instead of queuing up tanks you just queue up mexes. Whoever does it faster wins.
If you just play for fun I can either recommend getting better and having less 5x5 maps in the mix when playing in a higher bracket. Or just host your custom games. I'm not sure though how many people in the lower ranks you will find who want to play 1v1s on a large map.

MAP VETO. (The obvious solution.)
Now I'm not saying that it would be best to let players veto a whole map size, though it might not be bad either, but maybe letting people veto two or three maps so they can eliminate the 5km or 20km maps that they dislike and at least see that map size a lot less frequently would lead to a better experience for everyone. I definitely do not buy the "this is as close as we can get to making everyone happy" argument, unless we are assuming a veto system is impossible. But SC2 does it, somehow...

@tomalak While 5x5 maps force you to use t1 early , and your com, that does not mean you should quit. Neurokinetic skills is sth all RTS players eventually develop one way or another. I am a rusty old player too. Plus, SupCom is not so unforgiving regarding this, compared to other RTS games, cough cough starcraft!
I am not judging , I am simply stating a fact. For a game to degenerate simply to a com rush the other player must allow it. Go on and learn the skills or rather relearn them. You are not going to write a novel if you don't know the alphabet. The illusion that you would be better in big maps, if allowed will not help you . A player that can win against you easily on a small map, because he/she is faster will very probably win against you in a big map, even if he/she deploys simplistic strategies, by virtue of being fast enough . If you think a small map does not allow you to breathe, be certain that in a big map you will only be thinking you have time to think and deploy big strategies, only to find out the other player is coming at you with t3 and t4 until and before you implement them .

PS. The above is exactly the reason why all players should begin from 1v1 ladder then develop to 2v2 or bigger games.