EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at address 0x0095854f

Hello! First off, thanks for FAF and all your hard work on it. My friends and I love it! I have an issue though and wondered if anyone could possibly help?

Scenario:
After some time, say an hour or two of a game with two friends, my game crashes with the following summary. This happens quite a lot. More times than it doesn't.

faf EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at address 0x0095854f

attempted to write memory at 0x02c10000

Program : C:\ProgramData\FAForever\bin\ForgedAlliance.exe
Cmd line arguments : /init init.lua /nobugreport /log C:\ProgramData\FAForever\logs\game_14373415.log /gpgnet 127.0.0.1:6066 /mean 1500.0 /deviation 500.0 /savereplay gpgnet://127.0.0.1:58086/14373415/Amethi.SCFAreplay /country GB /numgames 0

Callstack:
	Unknown symbol (address 0x0095854f)

Checks performed/info:

• Steam validation of installation
  • CPU/GPU temps in game as expected
  • memtest86 ran overnight, not a single memory error
  • No other issues with the system. It's a new build.

Log: game_14373415-censored.log

Does anyone have any ideas for what could be up? I'm going to try re-installing the game via Steam and the FAF client.

If you want to play very long games against lots of AI, consider the LOUD project. It's similar to FAF, in that it's a client for FA, but it contains many optimizations to make big, big games run smoother.

Thank you @arma473. It looks interesting, we're going to give it a go.

Double-check that your hardware is running right. Try a benchmark over for a few hours, especially for your RAM.

is a known error and caused by full memory (or bad memory management from the game)

We investigated the error here:
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/issues/1445

Only thing you can do; use less mods and be sure you have nothing else running in windows in the background.
(as far as i know ^^)

On a 64 bit OS, each 32 bit application can use the full memory space (usually 2 GB, or 4GB if it supports LARGEADDRESSAWARE), so you don't need to close all apps, just have enough RAM.

Btw, is the current exe used by FAF LARGEADDRESSAWARE? If not, changing that may increase the time until the game runs out of memory, it it simply runs out of memory.

Edit:
Somebody could try it if not: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/
Btw, this flag cannot be used always, needs to be tested.

Yes we tested it. (but we used a different programm)

But i don't see a reason to not test the tool described in the link.

Maybe Amethi could test it and report the results here ?

That tool just changes a flag inside the exe, we could patch our exe for all players if it works.

This is the plan.

Does it work ?

@Medianl

did your game also crash on exact the same address at 0x0095854f ?