Ejected: Invalid Player Data

I doubt you will ever join then since this is a protection from malicious players trying to break lobbies. Your nickname is having not allowed amount of characters in it, thats why πŸ˜›

β€œBe a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
β€” Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

Why is that all of a sudden an issue ?
I have been using this nickname on FAF since I joined which is almost 8 years without issue.
Why does this not occur on matchmaking then ?

Found the offending commit to fa
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/commit/5ccc5547ca10f44037fc6d7c73a4f73a9ea327cb
@Jip is responsible, where do these guards come from ? What are they guarding against ?

These guards exists to (somewhat) sanitize the values we receive in the lobby. As I mentioned on Github, we can* always extend this in the future. Not sure if that was supposed to be taken literally, haha.

I'd personally recommend to just change your name. But for the sake of purpose, @Sheikah what are the minimum and maximum length of a username? If I'm not mistaken it can be 3 to 32 characters.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Yes those are the character limits

@jip said in Ejected: Invalid Player Data:

These guards exists to (somewhat) sanitize the values we receive in the lobby. As I mentioned on Github, we can* always extend this in the future. Not sure if that was supposed to be taken literally, haha.

I'd personally recommend to just change your name. But for the sake of purpose, @Sheikah what are the minimum and maximum length of a username? If I'm not mistaken it can be 3 to 32 characters.

Sanitize for what ?
The discussion you linked on github talks about to long strings being an attack vector that crashes lobbies but why are we then also introducing a lower bound?

Like I said I have a history with my username, on FAF I've been using it for almost 8 years now, without issue I might add, and elsewhere for a decade or more.
This doesn't seem to caue any problems with ladder games, nor me making my own lobbies.
The lower bound of 3 seems arbitrary, fix no problems, and introduced to no actual benefit.

@sheikah said in Ejected: Invalid Player Data:

Yes those are the character limits

My question is why have these limits been set?
More specifically why the lower limit?
What issues arrise from my username ?

The idea of the minimum username length is that users should have at least a meaningful syllable.
This requirement was introduced 7 years ago for the registration, so affecting new users. However, 100k+ accounts already existed back then.

We have 162 semi-active accounts with less than 3 characters, so this game change should be rolled back @Jip

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

I'll include it with the hotfix then πŸ‘

@Jip @Sheikah
I would like to apologize if my previous response was to confrontational I was pretty irrate and being unable to reach for FAF to blow of some steam didn't help. :Þ
I'm glad to hear this will be rolled back and look forward to returning tothe game once the hotfix drops.

This should now be fixed πŸ‘