Game-enders that end games

Sanctuary's game-enders actually end games (destroy ground under your base or you put your com into a T5 walker and risk it all). Shouldn't our game-enders be better at ending games?

I wouldn't increase their cost, though, as games where they are present are already long enough.

typically people don't like it when the opponent can just make something that equates to an "I win" button; an important part of fun competitive games is counterplay and the ability to feel in control of whether you win or lose. the most important part about FAF game enders is it takes them about 10 minutes to completely close out the game.

losing instantly to something, even if it's incredibly obvious your opponent is doing it, is a one way highway straight to salt.

for historical examples of previous mechanics that ignored the signs above, see the shitstorms surrounding the following:

• fiora, star spring, bandle tree (legends of runeterra)
  • tacnuke (modern warfare 2)
  • pharaoh (the entire game)
  • cultural victory (civ IV)
  • technology victory (galaciv II)
  • control warrior, uther of the ebon blade, mechathun (hearthstone)
  • aetherophasic engine (stellaris)
  • world government (rise of nations)
  • generals (world of warcraft)

You would ruin basically every 20x20 map because it’s really not that hard to hold a game until a game ender is up in your corner. It takes like 3 minutes already just to send reinforcements from your base to the enemy side.

Plenty of times where people hail mary on the game ender and it isn’t enough damage to kill the team’s air grids or SMDs because they started building random pgens around the whole map while their push keeps going with nothing to stop it. That’s good. Map control equates to reclaim equates to your game ender not really slowing anything down since the game wasn’t stagnant in the first place.

Took the risk to build it early, it didn’t pay off. It would be extremely difficult to make it not pay off if it was just selecting it and clicking on enemy ACUs and you win.

I just believe it's a good thing to be able to finish a match before something like 50 min. Because people have lives to live. It's mostly old games that don't have a time limit. We could come up with something else, like mass points giving you victory points and games just ending at minute 50 with the winner being the one having most victory points

You have to go at least 1 hour to qualify for an epic gyle cast.

@melanol are you sure you're not overly generalizing experiences on 20km maps? Smaller maps (even 15km) don't tend to go that long, and game enders tend to work a lot better if the bases are spread out even a little.

Try maps other than gap and astro, they were specifically created to make defense as easy as possible and they break the balance as a consequence.

If you insist on playing such degenerate designs, try some mods that add more late-game units, but don't complain about games taking 1 hour, you chose the maps that are for 1 hour games.

on most smaller maps real game enders come rarely into play. back in the days on lan when we where 14 we always played huge battles without t4 arties and nukes. this resulted in never ending matches where nobody could beat the others. and for their role in general i think its the scaling of the whole game, its just something i love abouth sup com, that you can scale and their is always something bigger to look for. for my mediocore-sometimes-try-hard-most-times-fool-around 1300 rating feeling they fit very well atm in the game. they are a clear approach towards ending a match, but you can defend them, but only if you are halfway on par with eco. and i like longer matches, as long both sides keep fighting for the win.

@melanol said in Game-enders that end games:

I just believe it's a good thing to be able to finish a match before something like 50 min. Because people have lives to live. It's mostly old games that don't have a time limit. We could come up with something else, like mass points giving you victory points and games just ending at minute 50 with the winner being the one having most victory points

mass points are unironically one of the most irrelevant things at min 50 when you probably have 500k in reclaim laying around the map

@ftxcommando I didn't want to invent control points