I am abandoning Aeon

@redx said in I am abandoning Aeon:

Didn't we already determine sera destros are fine against subs? I swear I just saw a post about that.

yeah, I do not really know why ppl keep saying that sera is bad against subs. For me, sera has the best t2 sub in the entire game 😄

@xejinord11 said in I am abandoning Aeon:

@redx said in I am abandoning Aeon:

Didn't we already determine sera destros are fine against subs? I swear I just saw a post about that.

yeah, I do not really know why ppl keep saying that sera is bad against subs. For me, sera has the best t2 sub in the entire game 😄 And actually, this is the only t2 sub that can deal with coopers, cause it will just go on water and kill them, lmao.

@ftxcommando said in I am abandoning Aeon:

not as common as condensed maps where snipers simply defeat anything in UEF or Cybran roster

Is there any reasonable way to give MMLs their old homing attributes under limited situations?
I was thinking the other night about a potential gamestate where MMLs got guided missiles in omni range, or some similar late-game check.

It feels like the removal of guided MMLs (which was certainly done because guided MMLs were so damn strong) created a situation where snipers were 'so damn strong', and also just had no equivalent for UEF or cybran.

I'd love to hear whether faction balance would be broken if MMLs had a way to access their old guidance, in a limited form, to at least be a 'poor man's sniper bot' in the late game, especially for those factions that don't have snipers?
It seems, to this misguided (!) scrubby newb, that the removal of MML guidance might have contributed to the relative power of sniper bots in current FaF balance...

@sylph_ Originally, the tracking was quite good. As I recall, the strength of the tracking is determined primarily by the projectile's turn rate (in degrees/sec), so simply reducing the turn rate to a very small number can produce interesting effects. For example, in a mod, I once made submarine cruise missiles track moving targets, but with a low turn rate. As such, they were useless against frigates, but effective against carriers and battleships, but a battleship could still dodge the missiles when microed to dodge or stop/accelerate repeatedly.

I think modifying MMLs to have limited tracking like this during the terminal phase - a lower turn rate of maybe 2 or 3 deg/sec - could make them more effective against large and slow-moving units, whilst still ineffective against small/fast units.

As an aside, an interesting note about limited tracking like this is that missiles which miss will tend to hit behind and to the side of the target. Increasing the missile damage radius could also help ensure that missiles which fail to impact the intended target nonetheless hit something else behind it.