cannot install game patch

I keep getting fatal Error

Callstack:
Unknown symbol (address 0x0090dbc0)

Last 100 lines of log...

warning: Running "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\bin\init_dev.lua" failed: cannot read C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\bin/../fa_path.lua: No such file or directory
stack traceback:
[C]: in function `dofile'
...n\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\bin\init_dev.lua(14): in main chunk

how to fix

@snowbiltz How are you trying to install the patch?

Are you downloading the files from the FAF GitHub & manually putting the files into your Steam SCFA folder?

In client > top left menu > Settings > Data and Caches, what do you have in the Data Location field?

I am installing them by FAF GitHub and manually putting the files into my steam and my FAF client data C:\ProgramData\FAForever.

@snowbiltz said in cannot install game patch:

I am installing them by FAF GitHub and manually putting the files into my steam and my FAF client data C:\ProgramData\FAForever.

You don't ever need to manually download the files from GitHub. Those files are part of the development environment for those working on the FAF game. For you to get the latest release of the FAF game files, you only need to create or join a game from the FAF client. Those FAF game files will then be downloaded to/updated in that folder as shown in the Data Location field.

Since you've gone about this in a way that's not needed by putting files in your Steam SCFA directory, you'll need to delete the Steam SCFA folder & then re-install that from Steam. After Steam SCFA has been reinstalled, start it & make sure it's working correctly. Once you've verified that your Steam SCFA is working correctly, open the FAF client & go to the top left menu > Settings > Forged Alliance Forever. Look at the Game Location field & verify that it's showing the correct directory where you've installed Steam SCFA. Next, go to the Play tab & either create a game or join a game.

okay thank for the help

@snowbiltz If that still doesn't work, keep posting, we'll get to the bottom of it!