Linux Support

@SlowHands89
i

with this i could get a stable game (45min+). but only with Proton 4.11. nothing else worked. and i have an AMD GPU

The mighty @p4block (that's our server guru by the way) gave us this:
https://gist.github.com/p4block/8d947f85fa707b433af359a699b367fb

Downloads a prebuilt binary wine/proton setup that should run out of the box on any distribution regardless of your current installation state.

If anybody wants to try it, feedback is appreciated.

works brilliant

it's FA in offline mode.

Don't have any use for that but if I start wanting to play Ai skirmishes that I can save and load, why not

I had to change line 8 to match where my SupCom was installed (appears to be a typo there anyway, "steampps"). Otherwise works well, I was getting atrocious performance in the score screen on Proton 5.0

@tatsu said in Linux Support:

works brilliant

it's FA in offline mode.

Don't have any use for that but if I start wanting to play Ai skirmishes that I can save and load, why not

In Downlord's FAF client change in Settings -> Forged Alliance Forever -> Command Line Format for Executable to

/path/to/run_faf.sh "%s"

To use it in FAF.

Yeah I thought it was obvious to set up as the launcher script in the client 😉

oh yeah!

What's fantastic about that is that we can just put it into the wiki and it'll make my video tutorial obsolete [ a good thing! ] or I can make a new one showing this script instead.

FAF installation on linux is now EVEN easier as it no longer requires a first run from steam (or for steam play for all titles to be enabled, for that matter if you only play FAF).

If it's stable we might even add this into the client directly 🤔

lol this is in the script:

This game is just weird
Please reimplement in Spring engine

i had more problem installing spring on linux than FAF btw.
random crashes even. random crashes even on Windows. lol

I dunno, BAR works fine for me. but yeah I'm hard at work on something of that nature as you two already well know 😉 but that's enough offtopic for this thread.

@Brutus5000 said in Linux Support:

If it's stable we might even add this into the client directly 🤔

😮 that would be ....AWESOME

If you want to spam unit you can remap the command because if you're on ubuntu alt + f2 spam the command

@nathmate said in Linux Support:

I had to change line 8 to match where my SupCom was installed (appears to be a typo there anyway, "steampps"). Otherwise works well, I was getting atrocious performance in the score screen on Proton 5.0

@tatsu said in Linux Support:

works brilliant

it's FA in offline mode.

In Downlord's FAF client change in Settings -> Forged Alliance Forever -> Command Line Format for Executable to

/path/to/run_faf.sh "%s"

To use it in FAF.

Yes, I concur - works brilliantly.

Have been running FAF under Wine successfully for the past year but recently been getting memory exceptions. This alternative is an excellent replacement.

Just one minor anomaly in Nathmate's instructions: in the current zip file from the github page, the start file is named run-faf.sh not run_faf.sh