Unplayable matchmaking for the last few weeks

Im in Indonesia and play mainly 3v3 ranked.

For the last week or so almost every game I lag, before I had no problem. Connections often over 400 ping. Did the relays change recently?

I feel bad ruining games and am not sure what to do.

Disabled ipv6.
Tried a vpn.
Disabled all ui mods.
Messed around with the relay selection.
Nothing helped as far as I can tell.

Also the news home screen on FAF seems to take ages to load and also the matchmaking page can sometimes take over a minute to load.

Any ideas?

Cheers

(EDIT - saying I had no problems is not quite true, I previously join a game and would lag, but it was maybe 20% of the time and now it is almost every game)

Also why does the match maker put players together that have over 400 ping. Is there a way for the matchmaker to inspect connectivity before selecting the the teams?

And additionally is there a way to change the tic rate of the game so that it would only lag at over 600 ping for example?

@dgun said in Unplayable matchmaking for the last few weeks:

Also why does the match maker put players together that have over 400 ping. Is there a way for the matchmaker to inspect connectivity before selecting the the teams?

No. The ping is in between players. The matchmaker cannot know this beforehand.

And additionally is there a way to change the tic rate of the game so that it would only lag at over 600 ping for example?

No.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000

@brutus5000 said in Unplayable matchmaking for the last few weeks:

No. The ping is in between players. The matchmaker cannot know this beforehand.

Sure... but the players once they enter the matchmaking queue can all ping each other and report to the matchmaking server.

Any idea on help? Has something changed? I remembered there was an Australasia turn server? Maybe as that is gone that is why its gotten worse?

For the last week or so almost every game I lag, before I had no problem. Connections often over 400 ping. Did the relays change recently?

Perhaps it is because of this event:

It matches with your time window and geographical region.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in Unplayable matchmaking for the last few weeks:

Perhaps it is because of this event:

It matches with your time window and geographical region.

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing. I suspect you are correct. Maybe something could be placed on the news page of FAF client. The last few games i've been flamed and sworn at like crazy haha. I suspect many remote players are feeling quite confused right now as to why everything has gone to shit.

I've stopped playing now due to the hate and the lag.

I'll be back again once the cables are fixed

@dgun Hey man I live in japan and had connections issues too. I saw that you started using a VPN with no improvement. What helped my connection issues however, is using a VPN and changing my location to America. I don't know if it will work in your case, but its worth a shot.

@cheerios thanks ill try

I've made a news post about it šŸ‘

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip thanks dude

Yeah I live in Japan too and it's unplayable so definitely related to that article Jip posted šŸ˜ž

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

@jip what about relay / turn servers? Was there not one in australia? Could we get one in singapore? What is the costs like to run them?

@azraaa thanks for confirming. Lets post update here when it works again.

@dgun the current issue with the turn servers is that they are the current target of the ddos attacks that are ongoing.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@roweynoob interesting. any idea who is behind it?

@dgun we are actively working on ddos protection but this one so much we can do. With people using Thier free time to fix stuff

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

Connectivity seems to be back to normal now