Status of Game? It sucks!

In an ideal world nobody would even need to use the coturn servers. Everybody would just be able to establish direct connections. But obviously they can't. So now there is a whole range of possible issues why a connection could not be established or drops. Troubleshooting that is quite hard

Having the number of disconnects is a huge clue. Plot it over time. See the date it started. Look at deployments near that date.

@nine2 said in Status of Game? It sucks!:

How do we even know if the problem really exists or not

It has always existed. There were always scenarios where player changed something and were never able to play. Nothing we can do about. Big question is: How do we know that things got worse? When do we know that it is good enough now and stop trying to fix the impossible?

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

We can't plot the number of disconnects over time because we can't measure those at the moment. That's why we first need to develop better tooling as explained

Makes sense.

the ingame disconnects got a lot better. like 4 weeks ago no match worked without disconnects and multiple con issues between multiple players.
now its the problem that many players cant connect to lobbies, but here again i got the feeling that its better than a week ago.

There are two problems. One is the instability and the other that ICE doesn't reconnect the players - a feature that worked once upon a time. Wasn't the reconnection feature even the number one goal why ICE was invented?

And I don't know if it is only me, but when I quit FAF, it stays most of the time in the task manager and I have to end the task.

No the reconnection feature was a nice side effect, the main problem it solved was establishing connections without port forwarding (similar to what Skype made so successful)

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000

@brutus5000 said in Status of Game? It sucks!:

No the reconnection feature was a nice side effect, the main problem it solved was establishing connections without port forwarding (similar to what Skype made so successful)

But why doesn't the side feature work anymore? That shouldn't have anything to do with server load, ddos, broken hard drives and so on. Are there no logs, client or server that exactly causes the impossibility to reconnect?

@closed said in Status of Game? It sucks!:

And I don't know if it is only me, but when I quit FAF, it stays most of the time in the task manager and I have to end the task.

Maybe this is worth mentioning, but the problems my (closed) playgroup has had seems to also involve the ICE adapters, and people not being able to quit the game properly without a black screen and involving Task Manager.

We play tonight, so I guess we have to cross our fingers that some reinstalls we did help.