reclaim heatmap

The new reclaim grouping is really awesome. What could be really nice is instead of numbers, it just showed a heatmap as coloured cells, and as you zoomed in those cells would become more granular where the reclaim is. That would visualise the same data with less "noise". I tried to build something long ago but the performance was dismal - the new reclaim grouping must be doing something much better than what I was trying.

@nine2 said in reclaim heatmap:
the performance was dismal

I think this may be what the problem is, there was another mod that visualized what you recently scouted in similar heatmap as well but also had performance problems for some reason, that forced the heatmap to be "low resolution" to keep normal fps, can't remember what it was called though or what was the cause of its problems

Interesting idea, would love to see that in action.
I wasn't a fan of the batching and opted to revert back to standard - but I can see a heatmap offering better performance in the long run as well as less noise as you mentioned.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sounds really complicated and how would you adjust the scale as different amounts of reclaim exist?

For example, the heat map could show a "red hot" zone that could total 200 reclaim (because there is no reclaim, or very little on the rest of the map) or 10,000 (if there is tons, such as a Setons Game). I would not really adjust my moves to fight over a 200 total reclaim while for 10,000 would put every ounce of energy I have into securing it.

Also I am not sure I like the idea of the entire map being covered in a "heat vision" when some highlighted numbers will do.

It does sound cool in theory but would need to see some prototype images and examples to give a better reply.

@morax said in reclaim heatmap:

Also I am not sure I like the idea of the entire map being covered in a "heat vision" when some highlighted numbers will do.

in my opinion it could use the red heat color scheme, for "cold" parts it could just show as transparent rather than red or whatever other color is for "cold", going from transparent towards red in increasing opacity, and then from red to orange to yellow and maybe even white for extreme amounts, so that colored parts only cover what is notable enough instead of empty parts as well

Untitled.png
just pretend the rectangles left from bright red one (marked) are becoming transparent rather than darker, idk if this is what you meant anyways (problem of covering map in meaningless parts of heatmap such as for zero or very low reclaim)

it is easier to see and distinguish colored squares than it is numbers, also nothing is stopping numbers from being shown over squares anyways for more detail, I know I myself have to look at each number to tell if it is worth reclaiming, colors help, but it is still hard to tell quickly from just numbers

@morax said in reclaim heatmap:

Sounds really complicated and how would you adjust the scale as different amounts of reclaim exist?

For example, the heat map could show a "red hot" zone that could total 200 reclaim (because there is no reclaim, or very little on the rest of the map) or 10,000 (if there is tons, such as a Setons Game). I would not really adjust my moves to fight over a 200 total reclaim while for 10,000 would put every ounce of energy I have into securing it.

the "checkpoints" for colors could have absolute values instead of relative ones to avoid confusion such as that, for example bright red being 1000 mass irrelevant of rest of reclaim on screen, for less than 1000 it is just more faded red the lower it is, down to completely transparent for zero, orange going from 1000 to 10000, yellow 10000 to 20000 and so on, idk the exact numbers and they would need to be selected based on what the usual differences in reclaim amounts are, but you get the point

The game "Ashes of the Singularity" has a heat map - though it works differently. That game's heat map is shown as a radar-type of thing. The more enemies in an area, the brighter and "hotter" the heat on the map is. If it's minimal, then it's practically translucent.

Perhaps, if there is little to no reclaim, the player doesn't see much of a heat signature but after a navy battle, the player sees a bright signature?

Zooming in to finally see the actual numbers could be a thing as well.

This could be offered as a 3rd option for reclaim. First being standard, 2nd being batching, and 3rd being a heat map.

I do like the idea of a heat map as it won't clutter up a player's view if there is a lot of reclaim.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)