Preferred Coturns for ICE - wtf?

Might be a bit late to the party here, but as of about a month ago I was dealing with what appeared to be a "ISP being lame" issue as I could not connect to anyone.

Until Harzer and Grimplex notified me, I was not aware of an update to ICE which one may configure in the client:

b701d603-a48e-4e3a-ac0a-3be7297e7163-image.png

By default, it was set to "US East," which makes sense as I live on the east coast in the US; however, all my games were not connecting and was about to just give up and say "Okay, I guess FAF server just won't work for me now."

Switching to "Germany" instantly solved the problem, and it it still does.

Could someone explain to me why that is? Are others having this issue? Why was something like this not more broadly discussed in a general community message or news post? The effects seem quit bad and I am not alone in those who were scratching their heads as to why this occurred.

Kind regards.

It does not default to just US East. The default is to try and use all the coturn servers. If it was set to US East for you that means at some point you had selected that server.

It is a tool for people who have problems to try and specify a specific coturn but often enough the ice adapter figures out which is best from all of them.

Selecting anything but Germany makes it 100% impossible to connect to any games, in my experience and from what I heard from others. It is a totally broken feature and very bad to have it in the client.

same for me

The embodiment of depression...

@sheikah said in Preferred Coturns for ICE - wtf?:

It does not default to just US East. The default is to try and use all the coturn servers. If it was set to US East for you that means at some point you had selected that server.

It is a tool for people who have problems to try and specify a specific coturn but often enough the ice adapter figures out which is best from all of them.

Um, I seriously do not think I ever did that. Is there a way to know?

Everyone I have spoke to about this has said they need to connect to Germany or it does not work.

Um, I seriously do not think I ever did that. Is there a way to know?

Everyone I have spoke to about this has said they need to connect to Germany or it does not work.

No there is no way to know when you did it. But if you delete your client.prefs you should see it have none selected showing it is the default. And people you have spoken to most likely also selected other coturns and then changed it back. Plenty of people never touch that option and it works

Test?

faf.mabula.net maintainer.