Player leave freezes unit control

Just throwing my hat in the rink that I've had up to about 6 seconds of unresponsiveness and average 3-5.

One second would be fine (not ideal but better than desync) but 3 seconds is pretty bad.

Realtime and gametime are different things. The desync lasts for 1 second in gametime. If you’re playing at -3, it’s going to take longer.

I will check next time I get a long desync, but I don't think these were at -3. I'm not usually at -3 unless I'm playing Seton's, which I only do once a year, on the full blood moon, after making the ritual sacrifice, of course.

My impression from the people I'm in discord with is that my loss of control/UI lasts longer than theirs. What might cause that?

Couldn’t tell you; there’s no reason at all for it to take longer for one person relative to another. The lockout is for a specified amount of game ticks, the time it takes to happen is entirely reliant on the speed of the simulation.

Again all of this revolves around the P2P model of the game being pushed all the way to the limits. Its and outdated model, and a came of this caliber should be able to fund and afford in some way server based play. Put all the client vs client bickering aside and then suddenly everything is instant, game speed improves, headaches decrease from lag flustered players, and you'll find it more attractive to players used to faster paced titles.

@Spy_Emanciator
Legally FAF cannot charge money so all of the funding would come from donations, which isn't realistic.

@Cascade If FAF were ingested into a new corporate structure than its costs would come from sales of a new release title, a benefit to all. These are not real roadblocks just legalese pedantic.

@FtXCommando

First Paragraph: Laughable

Second Paragraph: Seen it happen. And no i'm not going to sift through 2 years of replays to find examples.

Third Paragraph: The point he is making is that everyone has to suffer for observers? The majority of people are not observing they are playing. This implementation sacrifices the many for the few, and is therefore fundamentally flawed.

If this implementation is to continue then i third the idea, that there should be a global pause for the game. Currently players are basically doing this, they pause game then unpause try avoid any UI lock.

I've had it previously where nothing is selectable at all until i've alt tabbed in and out. Its poorly implemented garbage.

Anyway, with a global pause then everyone can get there cake and eat it.

@Cascade technically FAF can charge money for the matchmaking service of the client itself. Seen it done with other titles and ancillary services.

Take a look at all of the ancillary services for Dota2 and LoL built of their respective APIs relating to stat tracking. So long as you are not charging for the game and you are not distributing content game content as part of your commercial operation.

If people want to test out an implementation of a "pause fix" or whatever then by all means go ahead. The current fix is not going to go away until a better one is created and determined to be a better solution.

@Spy_Emanciator my dude I have been a member of this forum for maybe 3 hours now and seen quite a few of your posts. You seem to have some lofty ideas about what is going on here and what is possible. You do know FAF is a free fanmade thing right? We aren't "customers" there is no "monitization" of the platform. Catering to 'wood league' players is perfectly fine because they are loving fans trying to have fun just like the rest of us.

This is like the third thread where you have suggested "oh just recode everything." Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Have you ever made a game? It's engine? Jumped into the arcana of legacy spaghetti code? "Crack the core code open" LMAO.

Pretty much everything you come in here talking about would MAYBE be within the capabilities of a cushy AAA size budget, not the free time of fans manually pumping the heart of a game that is from a double dead studio 15 years on. The fact it runs is impressive enough. A few second delay so the god damn game does not desync, letting us have replays so Gyle can bring in new players is a remarkably trivial concern.

Curb your expectations my dude.

[edit] Yes now I know this was a month on necropost but god damn, Spy.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

Admittedly, the "no actions for n ticks" solution does lower the amount of desyncs, however the user experience is indeed underisable. I would second the suggestion for a "global pause" fix instead.

@Spy_Emanciator

You should be the ceo of the faf cooperation.
You got a real business mind, and i love all of your suggestions. Would you hire me? I would like to be your executive assistant to learn your business sense.

patronization aside I pitch lofty goals because it up averages the actual balanced expectations. Since many here are of the doom gloom please up my anti-depressant dose crowd I had to play the opposite.