UI mod guide for the improving player

This is an updated version of Blackheart's UI mod guide. I added/removed some mods but copied what I figured is still up to date. I did however change 2 mod recommendations including Supreme Economy Next and advanced selection extension (also known as its alternative: Selection Deprioritizer) so feel free to check the old post for Blackheart's opinion on them.
I try to keep this guide updated, so if something changed or bugs occur, let me know.

Day after day I see questions about which UI mods are useful, essential, important, and worse, misinformation or outright wrong recommendations. In this guide I will provide you with my evaluation of common UI mods. As the title of this post will already tell you, my focus will be the importance and the impact of those mods on your improvement in 1v1. My list will have no particular order. If you are above 2000 1v1 rating you can draw your own conclusions.

Ecomanager: Not recommended. The autopausing features will hinder the development of your eco balancing ability and instill bad habits. The only use cases for this mod are very specific scenarios like large scale teamgames in controlled scenarios or purely for the mex overlay.
Update: ATM the ecomanager also cancels your HQ upgrades after giving them to another player.

Supreme Economy Next: Not relevant. Might be a nice touch if you constantly miss some mexes to upgrade or when you don't know where your ressources are going, but besides that is fills up your left screen quite a bit.

Supreme Score Board2 or 4z0t's ScoreBoard: Recommended. Just a nicer scoreboard especially for teamgames with no downside. 4z0t's scoreboard also lets you pause the replay at a certain time automatically.

Advanced Strategic Icons: Extremely strong NOT recommended. I would go as far as saying that this mod will completely destroy your ability to improve past a certain level. The reasoning is the incredible clutter, completely filling your screen and taking your overview/ability to select things away. I would suggest you finding a version that only changes SMD/SML if that is your reason for using it, but thats where it ends. You wont be able to develop the gamesense you need if you blind out half of the information the game offers to you. No top player uses this mod.

Penguin's Icon Mod: Recommended. Highlights TMLs, Nukes, SMDs and ACUs but nothing else. As an alternative "Eternal strategic icons" does basically the same.

ACU Highlight: Recommended. Makes it easier to find enemy ACUs along SACUs which becomes handy in later game stages.

Idle engineers light: Not relevant. Unlike older versions it does not clutter the screen anymore. The standard game however already provides options to recognize idle engineers.

Reveal Positions (legal): Recommended. Helps keeping track where your opponents spawn on maps where it might not be clear.

Selection Cost UI: Recommended/not relevant. Might help analysing replays to compare how much mass you vs. your opponent invested into armies.

Optimized Reclaim View: Recommended if you're not using "Reclaim Batching". Great improvement over the generic reclaim view.

Build Range Preview: Recommended. Shows the buildrange of your ACU and engis while moving around your curser so you can use their range.

Zep_MiniMapZoom: Recommended/Not relevant. If you're using the minimap somewhat actively ingame, it might be a nice addition for you.

Smart Ring Display: Recommended. Shows the range of buildings or units when hovering over them which becomes handy once T2 PDs, TMLs or SMDs get involved. Make sure to read the mod description.

Ranges: Not relevant. Adds stuff like functional camera positions and similar. Depending on your playstyle it can be nice. Not a must though.

Specific Target Priorities: Recommended. Helps clearing specific units such as flak in a larger army or targetting only PGs / mexes specifically.

advanced selection extension: Recommended. Saves some apm and you're less likely to suicide units such as sniperbots, shields or mobile arty. However be careful at first as you have to get used to it and might need to change some priorities.

UI Party: Recommended/Not relevant. Not a specific feature of this, but it being not intrusive makes it at least not harmful. Some features got implemented into the game.

Engineer Alt Selection: Recommended/Not necessary. Whenever engis are mixed in your army or your main base, having an easy way to only select them is quite handy.

MexUpgradeFix: Recommended. With this mod you cannot upgrade t1 mexes straight to t3 anymore which lead to a lot of misplays in the past. Might not be needed for newer players as they don't know the mechanic change.

Hotbuild Overhaul: Not necessary. Makes your life easier creating your own hotbuild keybinds.

NoShake: Got implemented.

Spread Move or Disperse Move: Implemented with "Distribute Orders" which can be found in the hotkeys.

That should cover most common UI mods - if I forgot some let me know.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

@sladow-noob said in UI mod guide for the improving player:

Reveal Positions (legal)

What do you mean by (legal)? I know it used to be technically illegal in some cases. Did mods agree to consider it to be always legal?

I use Redux Strategic Icons with Redux ACU Icons: different icons for different ACUs and experimentals

I thought reveal positions mod was not aloud as it's an option in the game options

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@Melanol I'm not 100% sure, but there was a version (the older one) which technically wasn't allowed. This one apparently is. I can't tell you the difference though as I don't need to use them.

@AdAstraNoob It being legal is the current state I know after following some discussions on the Discord. I'll ask some mods again to be entirely sure and if there's a problem I'll delete it from the list.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?