New monitor - Asus TUF Gaming 31,5" - problem to play SupCom

Hello everyone.

I bought a new monitor and now I can't play SupCom properly anymore 😞

Let me explain.

My laptop: Dell G5, core i7, 9th gen, 16 Gb RAM, GTX 1660 Ti 6 Gb, SSD 256 Gb and an 1 Tb HDD.

When I was playing with my laptop monitor (15" and 60hz) nothing wrong happened. I could play without any issues. It's not a good monitor, but it could handle my needs.

But now I bought a new monitor, an Asus TUF Gamin of 31,5" with 165 hz and with freesync - model VG32VQ1B.

Since it arrived yesterday, I started some tests with many games. No problems at all with CS GO, League of Legends, Warcraft Frozen Throne etc.

But, Jesus, with SupCom it became a fucking nightmare.

I tried everything to make the game flow, but it seems I'm playing with my integrated videocard. It's horrible. I can't play after 2 minutes after the match starts, not even against AI.

In-game I've put the my max monitor's res: 2560 x 1440 with the same hertz rate of the monitor (144hz) and didn't work.

The game loads properly, I can make my stuff in-game, but it lags hard, very hard, like in slow fucking motion...

I tried every single res available at video options while playing, but it didn't work. The less worse was the maximum one (2560 x 1440).

I also changed many video options of the game (fidelity, texture and so on), but it didn't work either. It was supposed to work fine, since the monitor is better than my laptop's one, but seems there is something wrong with the game synch, I dont' know. I don't understand much of these things.

I tried the NVidia's control panel and didn't work either, but maybe I'm not changing the correct options.

Please, help me. If I can't play SupCom with this damn monitor, I'll send it back and take another one.

Oh, something I remembered now: I'm not using the monitor's Display Port, 'cause my laptop only has a mini one and I inserted an HDMI one. With the other games, although I can't reach the max hz rate (of 165), it worked very well and 144 hz for me, right now, it's great, I have no problem with that and I'll buy a desktop in future to use all its power. For now, I'm ok with that 144 rate.

I think there is something wrong with the dialogue between my videocard settings, game settings and the monitor settings, but I don't know what...

Thanks in advance 😞

i don't know about your particular laptop, but hdmi doesn't always work well with higher refresh rate monitors if the hdmi isn't the newer specification.

i had similar issues with a gtx 1070 going through a 120hz monitor, could only play stable at 60hz through hdmi, and when i upgraded to a 2070 it improved quite a bit, but that was on a desktop. may want to just get the mini display port adapter/cable first before you do anything else, they are cheap, but make sure you get the newer display port version, i forget what it is off the top of my head, but even an older cable won't support higher refresh rate.

you can also force the video card its using in nvidia control panel, but it sounds like you already did that.

Thanks, Mac, I'll buy that DP adapter then, but what I think strange is that when I set the monitor's and game's rate to 60hz, nothing changes and the problems still occurs. I thought like: well, if the game doesn't support higher rates, maybe I can downgrade it and make all the devices talk with each other in lower rates, but didn't work.

Wasn't this supposed to work? Because my HDMI is quite good (golden plated and so on) and it isn't that old (from about 2 years ago). SupCom isn't a game that requires that much from a computer I think. My specs should work fine, mainly against AI. My CPU and GPU wasn't even working hard as I monitored while playing.

If so, my HDMI cable should handle the rate at 60 Hz and that's not what happened... very strange. Any ideas from what that's maybe coming from? Maybe some hints about NVidia's control panel? I don't understand much of all those options.

I decided to try playing again. I've set all the main options to low and nothing.

If was a cable problem I think it should happen with others games, no? Mainly with CS GO that is a heavier game...

I think I'm missing something with the settings.

I also turned Freesync off and nothing...

As mac said:

• check the HDMI specs on your monitor and on the laptop. It will drop down to the lower spec. There is limited bandwidth and 144Mhz is a huge amount of data on that resolution. It might be that the laptop or the monitor doesn't support that refresh rate and that resolution for that HDMI spec. The Mhz means that 144 screens are sent every single second. Dropping it to 60Mhz is not noticeable unless you are playing twitch games.

The cable thing might not be an issue in other games since they are probably overriding the default refresh rate to whatever they can manage.

• Are you using the correct graphics drivers? Old drivers massively dropped the performance. The new ones have since fixed it. I believe the way to check for this would be to go into console ( ' ), then type d3d_WindowsCursor (Press enter). This will turn off the thing that was causing the performance hit.

• Another option could be enabling compatibility mode on your games. This should drop the system down to an older standard when playing the game. Be aware that Forged Alliance changed the settings after it closes. To get around this, I made a file that changed the compatibility settings before I run FAF.

are you playing with it set to only display on secondary monitor? maybe having both laptop screen and secondary monitor running is causing an issue.

some older games do weird things when told to run on a secondary monitor that isn't the primary. easy enough to rule out, by setting it to only display on the external monitor.

@youthenoob said in New monitor - Asus TUF Gaming 31,5" - problem to play SupCom:

As mac said:

• check the HDMI specs on your monitor and on the laptop. It will drop down to the lower spec. There is limited bandwidth and 144Mhz is a huge amount of data on that resolution. It might be that the laptop or the monitor doesn't support that refresh rate and that resolution for that HDMI spec. The Mhz means that 144 screens are sent every single second. Dropping it to 60Mhz is not noticeable unless you are playing twitch games.

The cable thing might not be an issue in other games since they are probably overriding the default refresh rate to whatever they can manage.

• Are you using the correct graphics drivers? Old drivers massively dropped the performance. The new ones have since fixed it. I believe the way to check for this would be to go into console ( ' ), then type d3d_WindowsCursor (Press enter). This will turn off the thing that was causing the performance hit.

• Another option could be enabling compatibility mode on your games. This should drop the system down to an older standard when playing the game. Be aware that Forged Alliance changed the settings after it closes. To get around this, I made a file that changed the compatibility settings before I run FAF.

Wow, you saved me. I solved the problem: the last NVidia driver... damn. Such a simple thing and I didn't notice this before at all.

Thank you Noob and Mac, you guys helped me a lot.

Yesterday I stayed all night long trying to solve the problem and today I was going to buy the displayport adapter that Mac suggested.

I updated the driver and boom, it worked perfectly. I didn't even need any changes at NVidia's panel to make it work and the best thing: all my games are running fluid now.

Just one last doubt: is there any gap between the 1.2 displayport cable that came from with the monitor and an adapter I may buy? I found an 1.8 adapter at Amazon and I don't know if I can buy it for two reasons:

1. If is there any gaps on adapter's use, 'cause the cable is a DP and my laptop's is a mini port (will I lose quality or something using the adapter)?

2. If is there any gaps if I use a higher or newer version of displayport adapter (to mini displayport) than that one from the monitor?

Thank you very much 👏 👏 👏 😁 💪

Glad its all working 🙂 Honestly, if the game says its working at the refresh rate and resolution that you want, there's no reason to swap cables or get an adapter (that I can think of, off the top of my head).

Correct if the HDMI supports the higher refresh rate than it must be okay or the newer version.

Mini dp to dp isn't the issue as they are both display port just with a different connector. It's only an issue when the port is using an older version and the monitor requires the newer version to reach the higher refresh rate. This was more an issue on older stuff when needed to run 4k at 120 Hz but the older spec dp cables could only do 60hz, or the video card didn't support it. Sounds like none of this applies to you here.

Excellent, guys, thank you.

I'll buy the adapter (just to get all monitor's potential) and keep enjoying this wonderful game 🙂

Seeyas