Change Size of Existing Map

How does one adjust the map size of an existing map? I have a 10km map I'd like to expand to 20km.

You don't. There's no way to expand an existing map. If you want a 20km version of a map you like, you'll have to create a new map using the editor. Expect that process to take anywhere from 4 to 48 hours of actual work.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

assuming you have the rights to upload it the map gen has a resizing tool

Vault Admin / Creative Team / Map Guru

@madmax

It is my map. I need to increase the water area, which requires expanding the map. If there is a way to resize the map, that would be great. I haven't come across any options for resizing in the map editing tool.

@rama said in Change Size of Existing Map:

@madmax

It is my map. I need to increase the water area, which requires expanding the map. If there is a way to resize the map, that would be great. I haven't come across any options for resizing in the map editing tool.

If it's your map, you could just export the heightmap and stratum layer masks, then scale those up in an image editing software and import in a different size map.

I haven't seen anything like the resizing tool madmax mentioned, so maybe that works better?

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

@rama said in Change Size of Existing Map:

I need to increase the water area

ah then the map resizer wont work as that only scales the map you'd need to export everything make a new map in the size you want edit the exports then reimport them

Vault Admin / Creative Team / Map Guru

No it can work. It doesn't only scale it can also embed a map in a larger map

@indexlibrorum

I did actually try that, but for whatever reason, I can't get GIMP or paint.net to open the RAW files, even after installing the required plugins. They just crash or fail to load it. Also tried Darktable and RawTherapee. Strangely, nothing is able to view/edit the RAW files generated by Ozone's map editor.

What programs do people use to make/edit height maps?

@sheikah

What is the map resizer? Is that in Ozone's Map Editor, or is it a separate app? I've not been able to find any tools to help with resizing or embedding maps into a larger map.

@rama Use either photoshop, or use https://www.photopea.com/. Raws are encoded as 1 channel 16bit (IBM), no interleaving, in the resolution of your map. (257px for 5km, 513px for 10km, 1025px for 20km). Ask for help in the FAF mapping discord or msg me in Discord directly if you need assistance.

Photopea was able to open and edit the raw. Though when I imported the new height map into the map editor, it set any lines to 256 height and everything else to 0. Don't know if I did something wrong. I'm rebuilding the map manually, but would be nice to know how to generate height maps outside the editor, as it can be very frustrating to do certain things.

Edit:
Photopea works! When opening and saving a height map, make sure to set Byte Order to "34-12" or it will be completely messed up when you import it back into the map editor.