Fairness % of rating

Would an additional indicator of quality or fairness of rating help us? An algorithm that rates you on map diversity or game mode perhaps and displays that next to the rating.

I thought about this for a second but there is one major problem with this. Such a rating would be calculated by the server. But there is no way the server can tell the game. The info is passed to the game on start up but the map can be changed making it super difficult. I mean displaying the times a player played a particular map would already be a start I guess.

Maybe I am wrong a game devs probably has a better understanding of it.

Soon™️

ah yes, the map diversity of Wonder Open 5v5, Wonder Open 6v6, Adaptive Wonder Open, and Wonder Open Ultimate.

Just accept global is a lost cause without 3 trillion manhours from everyone on FAF to attempt to mummify it through bandaids.

If you want to see a person’s map diversity, load up their replay vault and look at their last 50 games. If you want a remotely fair teamgame rating, you might as well as wait for tmm.

pretty easy to filter those as duplicates with names like that.

axel12, i was not thinking of showing it as the quality of the current map loaded in the lobby. Just a general measure of confidence from the system.

Showing it for the currently sleeted map is an interesting idea, but probably more than we can expect from the single server setup that we have now.

I was talking about the number of games a player played a map. There is no way to pass that t the game....

Soon™️

how is the clan tags passed? That was added after I joined.

edit: just adding number of times map played sounds even simpler and a great idea.

How do you filter duplicates?

Are goodlands/badlands/fancylands the same map? Badlands 5v5?

Wonder closed? Wonder open?

Loki? Loki 3v3?

If you want some box that says how often you played this specific dual gap in the lobby, all this will result in is further alienation and buildup of barriers between subsets of FAF.

@axel12 said in Fairness % of rating:

I was talking about the number of games a player played a map. There is no way to pass that t the game....

This would be helpful. First time playing a map easily predicts someone not playing near their rating. But I wonder if keeping track of for ever player X each map X play frequency would overburden the formula.

Just wait for the team match maker.

@Scoot said in Fairness % of rating:

pretty easy to filter those as duplicates with names like that.

For a human, yes it's obvious. For a programmable algorithm - which would be required here - it's not. And yes, I am talking from real world software development experience.

You need an algorithm with a high rate of matching names that belong together, but at the same time you need a super low rate of false positives and these are conflictive goals.

In the end you have like 80% auto-matching and still need to process the rest manually. This is not easy task in a map vault of a few thousand maps. And that just covers the status quo. New maps are uploaded every day and they need to be covered as well.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice