Aeon Gun ACU

The difference between ACU hp is inconsequential and can be mathematically equated via the different regen rates. I don’t care about structures having different hp and wouldn’t lose sleep over them being normalized again.

Now stop deflecting away from the inarguable position, please.

Ah reminds me, the Aeon range does not cost “200 mass more” because it’s two unique upgrades. I’ve had games where an Aeon ACU rushes range gun and forces enemy gun to cancel or lose 30-40% of their hp. Even better if they didn’t start it yet because then you are completely fucked.

And even if it did, any 2k+ player would, in a heartbeat, pay the extra 200 mass for the range.

@arran said in Aeon Gun ACU:

@ftxcommando
It is a shame that I try and post constructive advice and you shitpost in response. I sincerely hope you meant it as a joke and that your humour needs work.

Taking multiple paragraphs to say the equivalent of "get good" is shitposting to begin with. Aeon gun being good to the point of always being worth to make and countering everything all the way up to T3.5 land with other upgrades is a problem. Just like original Corsairs used to be. Or Beetles at some point. Or 3603 Restos. Or old ACU TML.

@ftxcommando

Ok so explain why nobody play aeon on anything bigger than 5*5 because the rest of the tools of this faction are shit / why no more than 5% of the games in LOTS involved aeon?

And on the other hand why everybody play UEF now?

Another option to throw out there (instead of improving t2 as a counter to guncoms) - increase the range of Aeon gun even further (say +2 or +3 above what it is now), and increase the dps from ROF to x2.5 or x3 instead of x2, but increase the cost and build time of each upgrade to be that of other faction’s combined gun upgrade.
That way you make it much harder for Aeon to get both upgrades vs other faction’s guncoms/much more of a risk to doing this (and more counterplay options), but still keep things different and provide more meaningful choice for the Aeon player when upgrading.

Meanwhile t2 pd as a counter would still be almost as powerful against a double upgraded acu but no longer have such an investment disparity (so becomes relatively better). Non aeon guncoms would have a clear window to push forwards while the aeon acu is upgrading; range only aeon acu + army is weaker than non aeon guncom + army at the t1 stage, etc

It’s much more interesting to have factional variance that provides tradeoffs and is relatively well balanced than just changing it to mirror other factions range

@unknow said in Aeon Gun ACU:

@ftxcommando

Ok so explain why nobody play aeon on anything bigger than 5*5 because the rest of the tools of this faction are shit / why no more than 5% of the games in LOTS involved aeon?

Cuz LotS have ban system so you can ban annoying OP shit like Aeon.

No idea which tournament you want me to look at. Rainbow cup I was basically 50/50 between UEF and Aeon with the deciding factor being whether my slot involved any interaction before full t3. If it did, Aeon was the dominant pick.

Ah you said LotS; I’ll need to go and review it.

because no one wants to play with aurora lol
also as endranii said, faction vetoes

i dont know anyone that doesnt play random faction

profile picture credits to petric

I’m guessing he meant that UEF was dominant in the LotS games.

Did I just see build walls and eco given as a suggestion to stop an Aeon gun com?

Here's a new idea: what if you make the increased range an active ability with a cooldown.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

here's an idea: remove the range advantage

Keep the range advantage but nerf the OC range.

if people do not want to remove auto oc and require more micro then just use the on enabled for "Overcharge" to increase overrall ACU Gun range, and when its not enabled then the range returns and is decreased from what it is right now by (DEFAULT) around 20-30% , it makes OC a lot more valuable and gives it a unique downside and upside.

If people are against I can think of a few more interesting things you could do for gun-oc synergy

SIMPLY, OC = Equal More Gun Range and NO OC equal less gun range but this is only enabled when the gun upgrade is added.

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

i don't get why we need weird gimmick mechanics to fix broken stuff

@ftxcommando said in Aeon Gun ACU:

Why do people propose making a third gun upgrade before actually giving a reason for Aeon to have a 35 gun in the first place

The Aeon Sniper-Com is one of the most game-changing units in FAF.

Removing such a powerful ability -Reducing the range- even if it deserves to be removed,
will cause some strong-worded feedback, as seen in some posts above.

Those of us who are suggesting a 3rd upgrade, well...
we're doing that so there isn't such a big and sudden drawback to the ACU and the Aeon faction.

Blatantly removing the upgrade will result in a heavy backlash, I can imagine.
Especially from those who are passionate about that faction.
(I know I would be displeased to hear one of the UEF units getting a sudden nerf.)

A third upgrade not only would allow a player to keep the familiarity of the Aeon ACU
-still being able to use its range, but with a little more delay in between upgrades-
but, would also place the Aeon ACU as a whole in a much better and more balanced slot.

Is there a real reason as to why the Aeon Sniper-Com should have that extra range, to begin with?
No. Or at least, probably not.

But as @IndexLibrorum stated, we don't want reskins of the same unit for all factions - otherwise the game would be significantly less interesting.
And I'm sure all players would agree with me on that take.

It's nice to have a little diversity here and there.
Granted, even if that means one unit is slightly stronger than others.
And that's why we're offering our suggestions of allowing the Aeon ACU to keep its range - albeit with more balancing through a 3rd upgrade.

I mean, you know my take on this...
As an enthusiast of a different faction - I would be thrilled to see the range removed!
But, yet, here I am trying to suggest a way so it doesn't get removed.

That's saying something.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Faction diversity should stem from solving issues the faction faces in a unique fashion. Faction diversity because “why not lol” can have a logical extreme of giving everyone everything because “why not lol” and make it identical to removing all fun in the game via lazy balancing.

@ftxcommando said in Aeon Gun ACU:

Faction diversity should stem from solving issues the faction faces in a unique fashion.

I completely agree with you.
Though, with uniqueness comes imbalance - regardless of how much adjustment someone may do.
And this is why, unfortunately, we're facing that exact issue here.

I doubt the range would ever be 'balanced' or 'fair', due to many, many factors.
But at least, we as players, are trying to offer feedback to help place said unit in a fair and more balanced position.

Faction diversity because “why not lol” can have a logical extreme of giving everyone everything because “why not lol” and make it identical to removing all fun in the game via lazy balancing.

Is that not one of the reasons why this post exists? To avoid lazy balancing?
We're here to discuss what can be done - to get more viewpoints from players, no?
I fail to see how this could classify as lazy balancing.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't consider removing a needless upgrade to be lazy balancing because I don't see any purpose the upgrade serves beyond making Aeon stronger in their strongest game segment. I already suggested that if any faction needs the increased range utility it would be Cybran. Lazy balancing would be equalizing aurora to every other tank rather than something like the lab/blaze change which gives Aeon an out for a weakness they have in a unique way.

If no one can name a weakness in Aeon that gun range is there for, it's just there just because it is. At which point, just give it to Cybran anyway.

Can we just revert Aeon T2 to what it used to be?