Starcraft 2 in Supreme Commander

Remember that real scale size mod for Starcraft 2? Reminder: https://youtu.be/RQTJ_Rg8biw?t=1548. Looks like players were interested.

What if we add Starcraft races as a mod and steal Starcraft players?

Models are already there, just need to make a mod and add the units with some balancing.

You don't have the right

To use Blizzard IP

To be more specific: a fan mod of this type this would likely lead to a "cease and desist" letter, or even a lawsuit against the individuals involved.

If the FAF project gave any operational assistance to it, it could result in actual litigation to destroy FAF. The cost of legal bills would be too high to fight, and it likely wouldn't be a "frivolous" lawsuit, which means even if FAF fights it, it probably loses in the end. So the FAF team can't give any assistance using official FAF resources (including: letting you solicit help on the forums, I expect this thread will disappear or at least be locked)

What if FAF just turns a blind eye, lets you do your thing, but never helps you? Blizzard still probably threatens to sue FAF if FAF doesn't actively take steps to stop you from using the mod on FAF servers, and FAF probably goes along with it because it's not worth paying lawyers tens of thousands of dollars to figure out the risk of getting sued if they don't do what Blizzard wants.

No responsible person is going to get near that thing

Why not just mod StarCraft II to add strategic zoom?

I don't think the legal issues are really a problem as long as FAF itself doesn't help with the mod, and just hosts it.

The amount of work to make this mod would be astronomical, since the games are barely in the same genre to be frank. It's like saying "Could we steal all the Smash Bros players by putting Nintendo characters into Street Fighter 6?"

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

The battle.net has thousands of happy players on reliable servers in a game that has no severe known issues.

What would be the motivation to move to a rip off mod of a game that has 0 players for this mod, has no working matchmaker (due to lack of players) that eventually will be dropped by the developers just as most featured mods are (equilibrium, nomads, ...)?

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@arma473 said in Starcraft 2 in Supreme Commander:

You don't have the right

No right to make a free mod that gives you no profit?

@melanol said in Starcraft 2 in Supreme Commander:

@arma473 said in Starcraft 2 in Supreme Commander:

You don't have the right

You cannot just use others IP and then redistribute it. You need a license for any use of someone else's work.

@melanol said in Starcraft 2 in Supreme Commander:

Basically, yes. Or rather, you have a right to "make a free mod that gives you no profit" but you don't have the right to share it with anyone, even if you're giving it away for free.

I'm not a copyright expert, but I believe that under American law, you have a right to make a free mod that puts StarCraft IP into the SC:FA or FAF engine. What you wouldn't have the right to do, is to SHARE that mod with anyone (or perhaps, sharing it with people outside of a small group that helped to build/test it).

I think if you wanted to research this further, you would be looking to find out the limits of "personal use" under Copyright law.

why would we want to attract StarCraft 2 players anyway. FAF is completely different and being a guy who played Warcraft 3 and Sc2 extensively I wouldn't go back to it.

They are welcome to try FAF but I wouldn't change anything in FAF to get it closer to the gameplay of SC2.