Redesign of the Aeon air factory

You can find out about why we're making these changes and what other factories we've tackled so far in the overview topic.

You can use this topic to discuss the design of the Aeon air factories. The HQ is the base factory that ships with Steam FA. The support factory is the same mesh, but trimmed down. The primary features to identify it are:

• (1) It is smaller
  • (2) There's only one gap in the outer railing
  • (3) The building pillars are lower

Old design

708abd0e-5123-419c-b685-33b745399b84-image.png

eecd776a-4d32-407d-b13f-4d417c0dbf7b-image.png

6d6e6941-1ffb-4c63-9b23-9610b4ffb564-image.png

New design

f3dcb23c-b8c8-4472-b28f-7618ed97948b-image.png

37e85946-5876-4b5d-ad31-cd43e869859f-image.png

7c3e991c-d08a-4934-ba1b-798bc1955250-image.png

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I think these ones look quite good. The support factories are clearly upgrades from the t1 factory, unlike some of the designs for the other facs. However it is still quite a lot harder to distinguish the HQs than in the old design.

@Blodir We could move the build pillars more 'into' the factory

542592d7-1ed9-4869-b142-292503fe4f52-image.png

They would be visually smaller, on top of just having one gap

@jip said in Redesign of the Aeon air factory:

@Blodir We could move the build pillars more 'into' the factory

542592d7-1ed9-4869-b142-292503fe4f52-image.png

They would be visually smaller, on top of just having one gap

Well it's not just that the HQ is hard to distinguish from support factories, but the HQ levels are also hard to distinguish etc. Everything is still quite similar. I think someone mentioned the "silhouette" and I agree that's a good way to think about it. I guess increasing the size of certain parts would stretch the textures?

I don't know if moving the build pillars would make a significant difference.

Visually not an improvement compared to the old design even with all its imperfections.

I find it actually easier to distinguish HQ and support factories now

How about making the platform on which units build flat for support factories and remove the faction related blue color on the ring of the platform for the support factories and put the faction related color on the pillars? That would be visually more differentiating by having size, color and shape having distinguishing features.

changing the team colours of parts through an animation can't be done in a convincing way

Vault Admin / Creative Team / Map Guru

That is a problem yes, changing textures like that. They'd blip into view at the end

@jip said in Redesign of the Aeon air factory:

That is a problem yes, changing textures like that. They'd blip into view at the end

Couldn’t we sell it as the lights being switched on at the end of the construction process and just leave the animation running with non player related neutral colors like black?