People keep asking for an ETA for Team Matchmaking, and until now our response has always been "we don't know." Well, I'm happy to say that I believe enough progress has been made to release an initial version in the near future!
My plan as of writing this is to have a working TMM "beta" version released to the FAF community by the end of the year. That is, if everything goes well, you should be able to play 2v2 matchmaker games with your friends in late December or early January.
WARNING: Do not expect everything to work perfectly! If you've been around for a while, you will be familiar with the usual chaos that ensues after a server update or game patch, and I expect this to be no different. While I hope it won't be the case, I will not be at all surprised if everything burns to the ground and we have to shut it off shortly after release in order to resolve critical issues.
That being said, here are some things you should know in the unlikely event of a successful deployment:
- There will only be 2v2 and 1v1 matchmakers (currently known as ladder).
- The ladder tab will be replaced by a more general matchmaker tab, in which you can join any active queue.
- There will be a party system. Players that queue together in a party are guaranteed to be on the same team.
- You can queue by yourself, and a team will be found for you.
- You can join multiple queues at the same time.
- The new matchmaker queue will have its own rating. This new rating will be based on your global rating, but it will assume higher uncertainty. This rating might not be displayed in game, or might be displayed incorrectly. You should not expect to know exactly what your rating is for this initial TMM release.
- We are NOT deleting your global rating. Custom games will continue to function exactly as they do now (provided there are no bugs).
If you are so anxious about playing TMM that you can't wait until the end of December, there will be a few opportunities to help with pre-release testing which I will announce in the FAF Discord (invite link in the client and on faforever.com). Just make sure you're subscribed to the Tester role by writing
!subscribe Tester in the #bot-commands channel and you will receive a ping from me personally when we need you.