Open the FAF wiki

Since we are discussing FAF's undemocratic leadership, let me remind you that our wiki is closed from editing by people that are not in the white list "because we are a small community". I am in the white list, and I like editing it, but it's empty because of this policy.

Open wikis worked for all other not very popular games, I read and edit them, I don't see any issues there, I don't have to send my resume to get access. Even the original Supreme Commander's wiki looks very much sane to me.

How about we test out Elon Musk's direct democracy and vote on this issue? (And maybe even start doing this for almost everything.)

@melanol said in Open the FAF wiki:

How about we test out Elon Musk's direct democracy and vote on this issue? (And maybe even start doing this for almost everything.)

Why are u crediting a scam artist with the simplest most obvious way of democracy that existed since ancient greece, probably ever since the dawn of language?

I agree with opening the wiki, but I can't with good conscience upvote ur post when u include paragraphs like that xd

Elon Musk also took the freedom to ignore the result, like when he asked whether he should step down.

The boundary to entry is very shallow: you essentially ask access and you're granted. I'm fine with opening it up further, but I'm not sure how well that would work when people start editing the statutes of the various teams:

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

what does elon musk even have to do with direct democracy? that concept existed from before ancient greece

oops, didnt notice blodir already said the same

@melanol said in Open the FAF wiki:

How about we test out Elon Musk's direct democracy

I think this alone is better than any counter-argument anyone could ever come up with

Well, he proposed to use direct democracy on Mars, and the idea gained popularity.

And there was no Internet in Ancient Greece to implement it properly.

@jip said in Open the FAF wiki:

I'm not sure how well that would work when people start editing the statutes of the various teams

This is why there exist protected articles, not sure if our wiki can do this, since it lacks a lot of tools.

The commonly cited example of Greek direct democracy was a slave society that had more restrictive rules for their women than Sharia law.

Looking at it, Ancient Athens had less of a percentage of their population voting or with “political power” than some later medieval or early modern European states like Poland or Hungary.

Your thread is so wrong on so many levels.

1. The old mediawiki was open and it was in a terrible state the whole 5 years I was responsible for keeping it running. (Wrong in a sense of outdated and wrong infromation and there were no masses coming in and fixing it)
  2. The internet has changed since and we have even people registering to FAF and using the single sign on to sneak their shitty website urls into their signature and do trash posts. So we will not open it to registration for everyone.
  3. Everyone who asks for it gets access. I have not heard of a single case where we did not allow it. You just need to invest 10 minutes of work to ask around who can give access and you will get it.
  4. It was intended to run with single-sign-on just as the forum does (so basically every FAF user can get it), but it's pretty low on our priority list.

This has nothing to do with democracy. This is the dumbest shit I have heard in a while. Right now it is 100% a technical decision and no I will not let anyone vote on this as long as I'm responsible for tech.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

The FAF wiki sorely needs current info about units , all the stuff on the FAF wiki now is simply about how the client works, how to make mods, some very outdated strategy guides etc. All of that info is currently on the Supreme Commander Wikia using GPGnet era balance.

And Wikia/Fandom Wikis became fucking awful after 2018 when they got bought out by some other Silicon Valley blob and changed their revenue model towards aggressive plastering of ads and autoplay videos. Using one of those sites on a phone is deeply upsetting.

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@brutus5000 said in Open the FAF wiki:

You just need to invest 10 minutes of work to ask around who can give access and you will get it.

This ^.

This post is deleted!

Every single person who has asked me for accesses to edit the wiki I've given it to them I've not said no to anyone. like brutus said.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@zeldafanboy Feel free to spend the time and add all 400+ units to the wiki 🙂

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

There's a massive difference between having to ask someone for an account and being able to register asynchronously. Seriously. Very few people are going to go out of their way to ask for an account even assuming that they knew how to go about doing that. I would bet most wiki contributors (in other wikis) get started just by adding something small randomly one day and there's just way too big of a barrier to entry for that in faf, even it it's "just" asking "someone".

The lack of that manpower in the wiki is also reflected in the lack of admin manpower to patrol for stupid changes. If we had the latter you could have it be more free. But we don’t.

This is what an "anyone can edit" wiki looks like

@blodir said in Open the FAF wiki:

There's a massive difference between having to ask someone for an account and being able to register asynchronously. Seriously.

The history / experience of the old wiki proves you wrong. Seriously.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

Blodir is not wrong. In the case of the wiki it didn't make a substantional difference sadly. You are both correct

@brutus5000 said in Open the FAF wiki:

@blodir said in Open the FAF wiki:

There's a massive difference between having to ask someone for an account and being able to register asynchronously. Seriously.

The history / experience of the old wiki proves you wrong. Seriously.

I mean it's of course possible that people won't contribute either way. The faf wiki specifically has 0 momentum behind it. Very few people ever use the faf wiki for anything as far as I know (I think there's some mapping guides there?). People don't want to contribute if they feel like nobody will care about their contributions. So yea anyway multiple reasons of course and there's no guarantee that being open will make people want to contribute on its own, but being closed is definitely a big impediment.