Delay between unit contruction for air factories..?

@fichom said in Delay between unit contruction for air factories..?:

people like me with lower apm don't want 6+ air factories to be adjusting as needed, we just want to manage one.

And you can. But there's a downside of that not being as efficient. Just how you can send your army straight without having to micro it. No one is forcing you to micro it, but don't expect as good of a result if you don't.

There is literally no micro involved. Just use the slave factories and adjust the main factory Q and the rest will follow lmao.

And for those who don't know what slave factory is, it's a factory that's assisting another one. The slave factory will produce all the same stuff that's been queued in the main one. No need to adjust each and every factory, just the main one. Also it gives you ability to produce 1 off units without disrupting the main quee in the main factory. Just quee some units in the slave factory. The factory will then make them and then go back to assisting the main one.

It's that simple...

With para and 50 hives I can spit out every ~1000 ms 1 unit. It is capped at this, because throwing more BP does not change it.

The 1000ms delay feels appropriate to me, because otherwise the unit spam would look silly, comical and has probably balancing issues. Maybe a member of the balance team can have a final word on this matter.

The only "annoying" delay I encountered, is the lag delay from other players, which can result in several seconds until the fab reacts again after it has upgraded or changed its units queue.

You can have other fabs assisting your main fab; If you have no APM to manage all fabs, you can simply build stuff with your primary fab, and the assisting fabs will automatically take the same input as your main fab. However, it would be easier just to group them all and press the group hotkey. You can react faster, and it cuts out any wonkiness.

d23335b6-f53c-45f9-8a74-69888914c933-image.png

@Xiaomao Please, do not be so confrontational, just because you do not share or understand his view. Your input about the assisting-fabs was very informative, that other negative stuff does not add value.

@serpentor said in Delay between unit contruction for air factories..?:

I understand the logic of the unit needing to get out of the way before starting the next unit but it seems very long.

So, which delay do you think feels appropriate, what are your thoughts about the side effects on the whole game by changing those?

You can orient your arguments on this template, and I would be looking forward to reading it.

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/759/balance-thread-guidelines/1

The only "annoying" delay I encountered, is the lag delay from other players, which can result in several seconds until the fab reacts again after it has upgraded or changed its units queue.

I've not found out why this occurs yet 😞 . I think it is because the 'previous' factory occupies the build location, and therefore the factory waits a few seconds for it to clear. But I have no idea if that is correct

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

That could certainly be the cause of it - the inherent delays caused in the upgrade signaling completion followed by the destruction processes of the original.

@magge said in Delay between unit contruction for air factories..?:

The 1000ms delay feels appropriate to me, because otherwise the unit spam would look silly, comical and has probably balancing issues. Maybe a member of the balance team can have a final word on this matter.

Disclaimer: not a balancing team member. But another, I'd argue very important point is collision. If you could pump out units with 0 delay, there'd be absolute mayhem with collisions and units getting stuck on each other or on factory. I mean the unit's pathfinding is sometimes so dumb they get stuck on t1 PGens adjacent to factory if there is another unit in the same postal region - don't want to imagine the chaos of 50 T1 tanks coming into existence effectively simultaneously, in the same spot (with enough BP).

@fichom

Air units have no collision, and typically only air factories are surrounded by armies of engies. I think the delay should be removed, if you want to inefficiently crank out a fluid stream of ASF you should be able to

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@fichom said in Delay between unit contruction for air factories..?:

What worries me though, is the delay between a factory finishing it's upgrade and starting working on new units. I sometimes feel like it somehow gets stuck, and you have to wait for an extended period of time before it starts making units from the queue. And sometimes, though rarely, and I'm not 100% but pretty sure, if you queue a unit in that post-upgrade blackout, the unit gets immediately de-queued and you have to press for it again (assuming the queue after the upgrade was empty).

Only with units in queue. Not when the upgrade finishes and you THEN order the first unit.

@jip said in Delay between unit contruction for air factories..?:

There has been a change to this, but as far as I am aware air factories were not affected.

I noted the delay too. Used to be able to spam a solid line of Torp Bombers from my build. Now they are spread apart way more and I am way way more mass when using the same amount of BP on the factory.

@zeldafanboy said in Delay between unit contruction for air factories..?:

typically only air factories are surrounded by armies of engies

navy

@mach

True but the engies don't surround the naval factory, they all clump up on 3 sides

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

So, getting back to the original point of this topic :

Am I misremembering the build rate of air factories? I would swear the build delay between each unit used to be next to non-existant whereas now it's pretty long. Can a dev check older code and see if something has been accidentally changed/affected? jcvjcvjcvjcv seems to agree that something has changed. I'm not asking for a balance change, I'm asking has an error occurred.

@jip said in Delay between unit contruction for air factories..?:

I've not found out why this occurs yet 😞 . I think it is because the 'previous' factory occupies the build location, and therefore the factory waits a few seconds for it to clear. But I have no idea if that is correct

This is basically correct. There is also an aspect where it needs to “wait” for animations in some cases before “building”
Finished in some cases (UEF facs with its build arms being most obvious example iirc.)

I’m a shitty 1k Global. Any balance or gameplay suggestions should be understood or taken as such.

Project Head and current Owner/Manager of SCTA Project

I assume the change for land factories to start building as soon as the unit has left the platform instead of a time delay could be the cause for this change