New Website Bugs/Feedback

@magge as others have said, its hard finding a video that's sweet and short for this. I'm not opposed to having a video but I would need someone to create something of good quality and export it into something very tight (8mb tops). Making it a very difficult mission

FAF Website Developer

@javi I only got FAF downloaded a few days ago and linked my account (to steam) at about the same but every time I try and launch it, it asks for me to link my account and takes me to a 404 error link on the website. Any help would be appreciated.
https://www.faforever.com/account/link specifically that link is giving me a 404.

@randomm3rc2781 yes Im sorry, there was an issue with it, now it has been fixed

FAF Website Developer

@javi I'm actually still having the same issue, any advice? have cleared cookies but that's about it.

@randomm3rc2781 forget my last its working thank you!!!!

@randomm3rc2781 yeah it was just not released yet lol, don’t worry

FAF Website Developer

@javi said in New Website Bugs/Feedback:

@magge as others have said, its hard finding a video that's sweet and short for this. I'm not opposed to having a video but I would need someone to create something of good quality and export it into something very tight (8mb tops). Making it a very difficult mission

Just as a benchmark did a little background video for work, 23 sec long in 1920x1080, no problem with H264 even to get it to 1.7 MB, 3 MB and 7 MB for diff quality levels. Depending on the client connection it chooses the best quality level.

Even a MB isn't trivial considering most website elements are measured in 10s of KB

@xiaomao said in New Website Bugs/Feedback:

@nuggets said in New Website Bugs/Feedback:

I must say i hate the "description" of the factions. I get that you wanted to be kinda funny there but imagine reading that as a new player. Sounds like some sort of meme game

We are aware of that, and are fully open to changing them when someone comes up with something good. Cuz not gonna lie, some of them were but a placeholders. cough cough sera one.

How about not talking about how the factions plays itself but rather it's story background? Kind of boring compared to actual information about the gameplay but would be easier

@nuggets why not both?

Also for anyone here, I'm way too busy to focus on faction pages by myself. But if someone wants to write down descriptions, make a draft, etc. I can help them implement their idea into the website.

FAF Website Developer

@sheikah an image worth 200kb is what I consider very expensive lol. Whole website is optimized to be as light as possible (which tbh could be way lighter than right now)

FAF Website Developer

I understand the drive to have low bandwidth items and to get the fastest response time out of a website. It has clearly huge advantages, and it pleases a lot of surfers.

But if a user has issues loading a <4 MB website in a few ms in 2023, then he will likely have network problems with that game anyway.

An action packed, crisp presentation - that makes the random surfer to want to play this game - A short gif/video that is showcasing such action sequences is the only thing to get the itchy "I want to play this now"-effect.

If people do not like autoplay videos in the background, then abandon the idea. If we need a test video in the first place, then I am sure here in FAF are many talented people who have some video editing skills.

To load MBs in milliseconds you need gigabit speed. Only a handful of people will have this.
We could embed a YouTube video in the website if you feel we need a video. I think this would have more opportunity to "sell" the game as well as the graphics are not revolutionary or anything compared to modern standards. So I doubt that a few tanks exploding will automatically create the emotional effect you want to have.

Some ideas for the faction description:

ea89dfa5-946e-48cb-bb63-2612de84ce1a-image.png

Raw text:

UEF

The United Earth Federation is a powerful human faction aiming to unify a splintered empire through conventional weapons. They pack a powerful punch when it comes to damaging structures with their artillery, supported by satellites. Or defending outposts with their unique Tier 3 rotating Gatling gun as point defense.

Cybran

Cybran units are often insect-like in appearance. They use laser, stealth and cloaking technology more than any other faction. Their stealth bombers are powerful and if their naval has killed everything on sea, some ships can simply walk on land to carry out even more destruction.

Aeon

Humans who follow the philosophy of the aliens. Their experimental unit Paragon can generate nearly limitless resources, but if it explodes it causes a nuclear strike. They use hover technology and can nullify shields or use guided missiles which are fragile, but do very high damage on impact.

Seraphim

Religious aliens who came with superior technologies to cleanse the galaxy. They have multipurpose units, the strongest shields and a gigantic experimental Bomber. The experimental building Yolona Oss creates the most damaging and devastating strategic missiles ever seen.

I somewhat like the current faction description we have:

Seraphim
Chicken ACU, chicken assault bots and chicken experimental. You want a balanced army of chickens.

It shows that we are not treating everything so seriously.

While you might like it as a current player the reality is that those blurbs are supposed to be interesting to new players, not the current ones.

@blackyps said in New Website Bugs/Feedback:

To load MBs in milliseconds you need gigabit speed. Only a handful of people will have this.
We could embed a YouTube video in the website if you feel we need a video. I think this would have more opportunity to "sell" the game as well as the graphics are not revolutionary or anything compared to modern standards. So I doubt that a few tanks exploding will automatically create the emotional effect you want to have.

Video's are actually streamed so it doesn't hold the page load up. Use a <video> tag.

Since we use Cloudflare now this should be a non-issue and it's worth experimenting with at least.

EA did it with an 8MB 30 second or so clip for C&C classic that worked quite well.

Javi - the page is looking great!

Former Board Member - March 2021 - March 2022

This is just lame. Kindergartener design and wording. If I didn't know what SupCom was, I would not want to download it after reading this.
alt text

HI i find the text in the news to large and i cant 'TAB' the news in my browser.
Keep up the good work .

@melanol said in New Website Bugs/Feedback:

This is just lame. Kindergartener design and wording. If I didn't know what SupCom was, I would not want to download it after reading this.
alt text

@Javi Waaaait, these weren't the texts that were on the latest versions while the new page was pre-release, were they?