Legend of The Stars 2022 Qualifier 2

Maybe a nice idea to randomize the order the map sizes are played in? Currently a BO3 always starts with 5km, followed by 10km and in case of a 1-1 they play a 20km. This favours players that are better at smaller map sizes.
You could argue that this will make tournaments last longer, but it's also kind of weird how the players have to play a 20km (most likely to take longer) after already having played 2 games.

profile picture credits to petric

@bulliednoob One of the biggest complaints I've received over the years is that tournaments last too long, so I when I design tournament formats I try to optimize for tournament speed while preserving competitiveness. If I did a BO3 that was in the order of 20km -> 10km -> 5km, I'd expect it would add on average about 10 minutes to each BO3 round, adding about 30-40 minutes to overall runtime. Considering that this format can run between 6 to 7 hours already, I'm not inclined to do anything to extend that length.

I also do not think the current order favors players who do better on small maps in a significant way. If you are going to win the BO3 you still need to win 2/3 map sizes, no matter what order they are played in. I'd argue the fact that the loser's bracket contains about half 10x10s and half 20x20s with no 5x5s favors players who are better at big maps in a much more significant way.

@swkoll said in Legend of The Stars 2022 Qualifier 2:

I also do not think the current order favors players who do better on small maps in a significant way. If you are going to win the BO3 you still need to win 2/3 map sizes, no matter what order they are played in

That isn't really how it works though. It still favors the player that is better at 5km maps since he's naturally under less pressure playing the 10km map since he's 1 game up.

@thewheelie There's probably some implicit psychological advantage to being up 1 game in a BO3, but I think it's quite small and not worth making the tournament longer to correct for it. The loser's bracket having 0 5x5s is definitely a much larger disadvantage for player's who prefer smaller maps.

A bracket will probably be held up by two players playing the full 3 games, so I don't expect two players playing a 10km and 20km will delay a tournament. Let's also not forget the not-so-rare occurence of players having draws on 5km maps, meaning they need to replay -> more time needed.

Also, let's use two hypothetical equally skilled players, although ones strongest suit is 5km, 2nd 10km, 3rd 20km, while the other is best at 20km, 2nd 10km, 3rd 5km. How exactly does the first player not have an advantage here? He has a high chance of winning the first game and a ~50% chance of winning the 2nd game. If the small map player wins the 2nd game, the big map player won't have a chance to play to his own strengths

Having no 5km maps in the loser's bracket does benefit players who are better at large maps, though, yes

5x5 players on FAF are totally extinct after being ignored and disadvantaged in tournaments for the last thousand years.

I haven't done the full stats, but upwards of 70%+ of series in this format are 2-0. While the longest series is the limiting factoring in a tournament like this, the length of the 2-0 series matters a lot because they are vastly more common. My back of the envelope math is that I'd expect you'd add 20 minutes to a 2-0 series by swapping a 5x5 for a 20x20 on average, and a 2-0 series will be a binding constraint about half the time.

@thomashiatt said in Legend of The Stars 2022 Qualifier 2:

5x5 players on FAF are totally extinct after being ignored and disadvantaged in tournaments for the last thousand years.

virgin 5x5 players needing tournies to sustain themselves vs chad 5v5 players thriving in bliss

@rottenbanana A no your already qualified

@swkoll said in Legend of The Stars 2022 Qualifier 2:

I haven't done the full stats, but upwards of 70%+ of series in this format are 2-0.

from this we may conclude that upwards of 70%+ of the players are small map players 512861155874570241.webp

@Lord_Asmodeus Hi am i too low ? diamond IV 1236

if not, then sign up

@Karateka it is open to anyone in Diamond or above rank so yes you can play

@Lord_Asmodeus ty, so, sign up

This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!