Login issue: keeps giving connection refused to api.faforever.com

Hi crew,

Every now and then the client refuses to let me log in - it gives the connection refused error below, and gives me the log in with browser window. There I can log in, authorize, get a nice "login successful" but in the client I get back to the same error. Sometimes, after 2-3 times of trying, it goes through, other times after 10x trying it still doesn't let me in and I give up and play something else...

This started last week or the week before - didn't have it before that. Any clue what causes this? Server too busy? Something getting blocked somewhere?

I run the latest client as of now 2022.8.0 and after typing all this it just finally logged me in (...) but I still post it as I'm sure it'll happen again šŸ˜‰

org.springframework.web.reactive.function.client.WebClientRequestException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused: api.faforever.com/0.0.0.0:443; nested exception is io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused: api.faforever.com/0.0.0.0:443
	at org.springframework.web.reactive.function.client.ExchangeFunctions$DefaultExchangeFunction.lambda$wrapException$9(ExchangeFunctions.java:141)
	Suppressed: The stacktrace has been enhanced by Reactor, refer to additional information below: 
Error has been observed at the following site(s):
	*__checkpoint ā‡¢ Request to GET https://api.faforever.com/me [DefaultWebClient]
Original Stack Trace:
		at org.springframework.web.reactive.function.client.ExchangeFunctions$DefaultExchangeFunction.lambda$wrapException$9(ExchangeFunctions.java:141)
		at reactor.core.publisher.MonoErrorSupplied.subscribe(MonoErrorSupplied.java:55)
		at reactor.core.publisher.Mono.subscribe(Mono.java:4397)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxOnErrorResume$ResumeSubscriber.onError(FluxOnErrorResume.java:103)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxPeek$PeekSubscriber.onError(FluxPeek.java:222)
		at reactor.core.publisher.MonoNext$NextSubscriber.onError(MonoNext.java:93)
		at reactor.core.publisher.MonoFlatMapMany$FlatMapManyMain.onError(MonoFlatMapMany.java:204)
		at reactor.core.publisher.SerializedSubscriber.onError(SerializedSubscriber.java:124)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxRetryWhen$RetryWhenMainSubscriber.whenError(FluxRetryWhen.java:225)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxRetryWhen$RetryWhenOtherSubscriber.onError(FluxRetryWhen.java:274)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxConcatMap$ConcatMapImmediate.drain(FluxConcatMap.java:415)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxConcatMap$ConcatMapImmediate.onNext(FluxConcatMap.java:251)
		at reactor.core.publisher.EmitterProcessor.drain(EmitterProcessor.java:537)
		at reactor.core.publisher.EmitterProcessor.tryEmitNext(EmitterProcessor.java:343)
		at reactor.core.publisher.SinkManySerialized.tryEmitNext(SinkManySerialized.java:100)
		at reactor.core.publisher.InternalManySink.emitNext(InternalManySink.java:27)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxRetryWhen$RetryWhenMainSubscriber.onError(FluxRetryWhen.java:190)
		at reactor.core.publisher.MonoCreate$DefaultMonoSink.error(MonoCreate.java:201)
		at reactor.netty.http.client.HttpClientConnect$MonoHttpConnect$ClientTransportSubscriber.onError(HttpClientConnect.java:308)
		at reactor.netty.resources.NewConnectionProvider$DisposableConnect.onError(NewConnectionProvider.java:140)
		at reactor.core.publisher.MonoFlatMap$FlatMapMain.secondError(MonoFlatMap.java:192)
		at reactor.core.publisher.MonoFlatMap$FlatMapInner.onError(MonoFlatMap.java:259)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxOnErrorResume$ResumeSubscriber.onError(FluxOnErrorResume.java:106)
		at reactor.core.publisher.Operators.error(Operators.java:198)
		at reactor.core.publisher.MonoError.subscribe(MonoError.java:53)
		at reactor.core.publisher.FluxOnErrorResume$ResumeSubscriber.onError(FluxOnErrorResume.java:103)
		at reactor.netty.transport.TransportConnector$MonoChannelPromise.tryFailure(TransportConnector.java:534)
		at reactor.netty.transport.TransportConnector$MonoChannelPromise.setFailure(TransportConnector.java:488)
		at reactor.netty.transport.TransportConnector.lambda$doConnect$7(TransportConnector.java:223)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListener0(DefaultPromise.java:578)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners0(DefaultPromise.java:571)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListenersNow(DefaultPromise.java:550)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners(DefaultPromise.java:491)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.setValue0(DefaultPromise.java:616)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.setFailure0(DefaultPromise.java:609)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.tryFailure(DefaultPromise.java:117)
		at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.fulfillConnectPromise(AbstractEpollChannel.java:674)
		at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractEpollChannel.java:693)
		at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.epollOutReady(AbstractEpollChannel.java:567)
		at io.netty.channel.epoll.EpollEventLoop.processReady(EpollEventLoop.java:477)
		at io.netty.channel.epoll.EpollEventLoop.run(EpollEventLoop.java:385)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$4.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:997)
		at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74)
		at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30)
		at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)
Caused by: io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused: api.faforever.com/0.0.0.0:443
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused
	at io.netty.channel.unix.Errors.newConnectException0(Errors.java:155)
	at io.netty.channel.unix.Errors.handleConnectErrno(Errors.java:128)
	at io.netty.channel.unix.Socket.finishConnect(Socket.java:321)
	at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.doFinishConnect(AbstractEpollChannel.java:710)
	at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractEpollChannel.java:687)
	at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.epollOutReady(AbstractEpollChannel.java:567)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$4.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:997)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30)

Connection refused is a general problem on your computer. Maybe some antivirus or firewall software blocking the access or maybe you didn't allow the client to use the network.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000 said in Login issue: keeps giving connection refused to api.faforever.com:

Connection refused is a general problem on your computer. Maybe some antivirus or firewall software blocking the access or maybe you didn't allow the client to use the network.

Strange, as it works sometimes, just not all the time. I have no anti-virus running, but I'll look at the firewall side of things. Still that would not explain that it sometimes, but not always, fails.

Anyhow, I assume from your reply that the FAF servers aren't blocking me.

No. The forum runs on the same machine and obviously you can connect here.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

It's fascinating, the errors - now I get this one, basically saying it can't reach the server:

com.faforever.commons.lobby.LoginException: Could not reach server after 12 attempts
	at com.faforever.commons.lobby.FafLobbyClient$createRetrySpec$2.apply(FafLobbyClient.kt:253)
	at com.faforever.commons.lobby.FafLobbyClient$createRetrySpec$2.apply(FafLobbyClient.kt:252)
	at reactor.util.retry.RetryBackoffSpec.lambda$generateCompanion$4(RetryBackoffSpec.java:557)
	at reactor.core.publisher.FluxConcatMap$ConcatMapImmediate.drain(FluxConcatMap.java:376)
	at reactor.core.publisher.FluxConcatMap$ConcatMapImmediate.onNext(FluxConcatMap.java:251)
	at reactor.core.publisher.EmitterProcessor.drain(EmitterProcessor.java:537)
	at reactor.core.publisher.EmitterProcessor.tryEmitNext(EmitterProcessor.java:343)
	at reactor.core.publisher.SinkManySerialized.tryEmitNext(SinkManySerialized.java:100)
	at reactor.core.publisher.InternalManySink.emitNext(InternalManySink.java:27)
	at reactor.core.publisher.FluxRetryWhen$RetryWhenMainSubscriber.onError(FluxRetryWhen.java:190)
	at reactor.core.publisher.MonoIgnoreThen$ThenIgnoreMain.onError(MonoIgnoreThen.java:278)
	at reactor.netty.resources.NewConnectionProvider$DisposableConnect.onError(NewConnectionProvider.java:140)
	at reactor.core.publisher.MonoFlatMap$FlatMapMain.secondError(MonoFlatMap.java:192)
	at reactor.core.publisher.MonoFlatMap$FlatMapInner.onError(MonoFlatMap.java:259)
	at reactor.core.publisher.FluxOnErrorResume$ResumeSubscriber.onError(FluxOnErrorResume.java:106)
	at reactor.core.publisher.Operators.error(Operators.java:198)
	at reactor.core.publisher.MonoError.subscribe(MonoError.java:53)
	at reactor.netty.transport.TransportConnector$MonoChannelPromise.tryFailure(TransportConnector.java:534)
	at reactor.netty.transport.TransportConnector$MonoChannelPromise.setFailure(TransportConnector.java:488)
	at reactor.netty.transport.TransportConnector.lambda$doConnect$7(TransportConnector.java:223)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListener0(DefaultPromise.java:578)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners0(DefaultPromise.java:571)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListenersNow(DefaultPromise.java:550)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners(DefaultPromise.java:491)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.setValue0(DefaultPromise.java:616)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.setFailure0(DefaultPromise.java:609)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.tryFailure(DefaultPromise.java:117)
	at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.fulfillConnectPromise(AbstractEpollChannel.java:674)
	at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractEpollChannel.java:693)
Caused by: io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused: lobby.faforever.com/0.0.0.0:8002
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused
	at io.netty.channel.unix.Errors.newConnectException0(Errors.java:155)
	at io.netty.channel.unix.Errors.handleConnectErrno(Errors.java:128)
	at io.netty.channel.unix.Socket.finishConnect(Socket.java:321)
	at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.doFinishConnect(AbstractEpollChannel.java:710)
	at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollChannel$AbstractEpollUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractEpollChannel.java:687)

just a few tries later - it simply logs me in.. it is just unreliable.

Just for the statistics: In which country do you live and who is your Internet provider? Are you on mobile lte connection or via cable/dsl/fiber?

My guess is you live outside Europe and/or use a LTE connection.

ā€“ Benno Rice