Can the Anti-Nuke miss now? (bug or feature, not a Yolo)

At ~34 minutes; the anti-nuke fires, misses, does a loop, then circles back and finally connects. If that nuke had gone after the front player instead of me, it would have connected. https://replay.faforever.com/17502134

I guess the game is so well simulated that even SMD can miss xD?

FAF Website Developer

SMD has always been able to miss, it is just very rare.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip Crazy, first time I have ever seen it happen. Still, good to know.

I would personally like to see a different approach to SMD, but I guess it won't happen.

Suggestion: SMD launcher stays expensive, missiles get much cheaper. Misses are possible (maybe 10% chance) but two missiles (if available) are fired to reduce the risk (but without completely eliminating it, at least not with a single SMD). Meanwhile, Yolo shoots a small swarm of standard nukes instead of one super-nuke.

@cyborg16 I don't think introducing coin flips, when your base/comm is at risk is a good idea. Basically if your nuke connects you win, so every nuke is a 1% chance to win the game.

I really don't think we need to mess with smds

This topic can be closed - any suggestions to balance can make a separate topic in the balance section of the forums.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in Can the Anti-Nuke miss now? (bug or feature, not a Yolo):

SMD has always been able to miss, it is just very rare.

Wasn't that fixed recently???

So that definitely wasn't fixed. Just had a sudden end to my game cause my smd missed. Or is not supposed to take on 4 nukes at all? Then why does it even fired a 4th rocket?

Due to the firing rate of the smd, you can overwhelm it with volleys of nukes. The number it can shoot down is dependent on where the nuke target is in relation to the smd.
It will still keep firing smds even if it is too late to hit the last nuke usually resulting in a wasted anti.