Do not add new colors - discussion

I've reverted the color changes. It was difficult for people to use colors as a cue - which is key to game design in general.

I did keep the rainbow-like order for in the lobby.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Most of the feedback I saw for the 3 new colors kept in the color compromise PR was positive.
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/pull/3763
I think it would be better to add those 3 colors back in.
d57f8e0d-016b-4094-b2f4-abbe55013714-image.png

339609b4-3512-46ac-9777-a805a95c4444-image.png

pfp credit to gieb

@jip So are we having any new color changes or the same old? B(

FAF Website Developer

Original vs. Wild Berry

skittles meme.jpg

No discussion has happened on what colors we would or would not want - not that I have seen anyway. As the new colors have some issues with being used as a cue - I decided to revert them for now. The old colors have problems too, but at least we're used to those problems after a decade.

I'm open for new colors, but they need to help players play the game in whatever style they were playing before. And this particular color set did not achieve that.

Foreword I have no idea if any of this is possible: one solution might be for enemy units to have a different line colour on their map markers.

e.g it is a style where the differentiation is mainly on separation of enemies from allies in large scale conflict.

Icons with distinct team based outlines, but flat internal colours, e.g the light icons are team 1 vs the dark icons team 2. This would have the added advantage of being able to use black as a colour.
alt text

Alternatively, ALL enemy units are given the same line colour (e.g red or something chosen by a player), but have distinct inner colours. Having a different outline for an enemy can potentially help to distinguish an enemy dark green from a friendly teal.

Here is the current grey, but with a few red lines which would indicate grey enemies.
alt text

@bl_4u said in Do not add new colors - discussion:

e.g it is a style where the differentiation is mainly on separation of enemies from allies in large scale conflict.

There's already an option in game:
56a5f643-952d-4d1e-87be-5eb7d6cfe69c-immagine.png

Your second option is interesting but doesn't imo address the real issue and could potentially be ̶u̶g̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶ hard on the eyes.

The second option is not possible in FA - I do not think two units of the same type can have different strategic icons. I also do not think it is desirable, it would make it difficult to recognize.

Keep the old colors.

@eternal said in Do not add new colors - discussion:

Lets just stay old and boring

I don't think you have any choice E!!

(ooo burn!!!!)

😉