Unrank Games with early disconnect

Could we apply a function into faf that would unrank games which have an early disconnect, maybe within first ten minutes, as this has a large impact on the game.

This impact is ten times more prevalent when it is the air player that disconects as the team with no air or unable to catch up with air just gets strat bombed to death.

I have played and lost too many games that have had a player disconnect whether poor connection or rage quit and it just ruins the game.

not so much an issue with full share but still is annoying.

I'm quite sure there is already such system in place, someone will most likely correct me but I think there is 1 minute grace period per player from the match start, with the caveat that it's server time not in game one. Also making it any longer than 5-8 minutes is bad idea anyway, considering that it allows for a really simple rating manipulation by players. Even more when you can see how the game will go on in the first few minutes and then just pull the cords to save the rating.

Honestly, I'd rather not have such a system as certain toxic players (who care way more about rating than they should) will ctrl-k in the first two minutes if they mess up their build or lose an engi. Better to lose/win a few points for no reason than to encourage this.

In a teamgame if someone drops early on, everyone will generally rehost. IIRC, if the game ends before 5 minutes it isn't rated.

1min per player in the game. Unrank is disabled as soon as the first ACU gets killed.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

Putting this in matchmaker effectively allows people to curate their opponents at their leisure so those games are always considered ranked unless the draw option is used in the diplomacy menu.

Also 10 minutes is huge, I'd say like a quarter of FAF's games are decided before min 10.

@brutus5000 said in Unrank Games with early disconnect:

Unrank is disabled as soon as the first ACU gets killed.

I don't think that is true. I had a look at the code some time ago and didn't find anything setting the game invalid based on when someone was killed. Also pretty sure it's almost impossible to tell how someone died anyway, whether it was DC, self kill or someone killed them.

It doesn't make that distinction - as long as the ACU died before the player left (which is not the case when the player disconnects) then all is good. For your idea:

edit

Also pretty sure it's almost impossible to tell how someone died anyway, whether it was DC, self kill or someone killed them.

It isn't not - we can check the instigator:

If it was hostile, an enemy took you out. If it was allied, you got team killed. If it is nil then it is a scripted kill, therefore you either CTRL + K'ed it or you left. These can be made distinct too: check if the army is defeated on kill. If that is the case, then you left.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Still can't fix the draw bug in ladder after years though.

Ok, good to know, so there actually is code that rates a game even before the 1 minute per player is up, and it can be detected how someone died. Thank you.

Matchmaker games are rated immediately, custom games have that delay until the game is ranked