MapGen Ladder Week #2 - February 1st through 8th

In an effort to help promote and gather feedback for the MapGen feature the Matchmaker team presents:

MapGen Week #2

In this edition, we will be introducing Mapgen 7.5x7.5 and 15x15 as the generator can now make maps in 1.25 km increments. Due to this addition, the pool for ratings brackets go a little more work.

[Map Pool Bracket Soon (tm)]

For reference on what kind of maps, biomes, types, weight (chance of being used), etc, please refer to this handy thread filled with plenty of information:

MapGen Week Feedback Thread

A thread will be created at the conclusion of the week in order for players to give feedback to the Matchmaker Team.

Happy Randomoness,

Morax

Will this be affecting all matchmaker queues?

In general, please be more specific for all "Matchmaker"/"Ladder"-like announcements, it is often very hard to see which queues these affect. The information could also be more consolidated. For example, why is the 1v1 pool in this forum under "Home > Announcements > January 2022 Ladder Map Pool", the 2v2 pool under "Home > General Discussion > 2v2 TMM Matchmaker Pool", and the 4v4 pools not posted at all? Can't we have one neatly organized section where the information for all matchmaker queues is consolidated?

@xayo Morax said ladder so it should be only 1v1.

FAF Website Developer

@xayo said in MapGen Ladder Week #2 - February 1st through 8th:

Will this be affecting all matchmaker queues?

In general, please be more specific for all "Matchmaker"/"Ladder"-like announcements, it is often very hard to see which queues these affect. The information could also be more consolidated. For example, why is the 1v1 pool in this forum under "Home > Announcements > January 2022 Ladder Map Pool", the 2v2 pool under "Home > General Discussion > 2v2 TMM Matchmaker Pool", and the 4v4 pools not posted at all? Can't we have one neatly organized section where the information for all matchmaker queues is consolidated?

The title of the post says "Ladder" right in it? What is confusing about that?

As for the information on pools, that makes sense to keep them all in one part of the message board. I guess the problem is that not everyone has privileges to write post to "announcements."

I've seen people use the word "ladder" to refer to team queues. In fact, I've even seen people refer to the "global ladder."

I guess it makes sense. The metaphor of a ladder is that it's something you can climb up. You can try to "climb the ladder" by growing your rating in any of the categories.

People like me who joined FAF when there were only 2 ratings are more likely to use the word "ladder" to mean only the 1v1 matchmaker. "Ladder" will always mean that to me and nothing else. 2v2 is something but it's not a "ladder." But I can understand why other people use the word differently and how that can lead to confusion . . .

Ya in other gaming communities ladder is 4v4 or whatever their main ranked mode is. In FAF 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, all have matchmakers and even global games have rating and leaderboards you can climb.

All true. Up and until this point it has been known as 1v1 but with more and more new people joining, the defintions/nomenclature may not be as reliable.

I will discuss this with the team and we will determine an appropriate jargon and place to put all map pools / updates.

Sound good?

What is so hard about mentioning the name of the queue that the map pool you posted goes with?

@morax said in MapGen Ladder Week #2 - February 1st through 8th:

All true. Up and until this point it has been known as 1v1 but with more and more new people joining, the defintions/nomenclature may not be as reliable.

I will discuss this with the team and we will determine an appropriate jargon and place to put all map pools / updates.

Sound good?

Thanks! I was not aware "Ladder" only refers to 1v1 matchmaker. As others pointed out, all four matchmaker ques offer the same features of automatic matching, leaderboards, divisions, and rating, and all could thus be referred to as "Ladder". A more clear communication/naming would be helpful.

@askaholic said in MapGen Ladder Week #2 - February 1st through 8th:

What is so hard about mentioning the name of the queue that the map pool you posted goes with?

I did.... it says "ladder" in the post?

We both know what Askaholic means here. Call them 1v1, 2v2 or 4v4 (FS / NS) instead. As others have pointed out - ladder is ambiguous in our community and especially ambiguous when people also play other games with a similar system.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in MapGen Ladder Week #2 - February 1st through 8th:

We both know what Askaholic means here. Call them 1v1, 2v2 or 4v4 (FS / NS) instead. As others have pointed out - ladder is ambiguous in our community and especially ambiguous when people also play other games with a similar system.

Jip, look at my follow up posts where I acknowledged the problem?

when we getting a mappool that can be anything between 1.25km and 25km

profile picture credits to petric

@zwaffelnoob said in MapGen Ladder Week #2 - February 1st through 8th:

when we getting a mappool that can be anything between 1.25km and 25km

I would actually find it comical to see 1.25 by 1.25 maps but feel that would result in protests haha

Only one way to find out >:)

Ah I didnt know u couldnt get 5x5 anymore when u are 1700+. I dislike that tbh. A high level player is supposed to be proficient at all the different sizes of map. Also u have practiced these 5x5 maps the past time climbing the ladder, and now suddenly u dont need to play them anymore (atleast in mapgen)? That seems odd to me. Lastly, the fact that it says 20x20 at the top right of ur screen when playing on a 15x15 map is confusing. It would be nice if there was some clear indicator of the size of the map (although Im sure there is but im too dumb to find it).

Other than that I really enjoy the current format on ladder with mapgen. The maps it creates are really good and a welcome variety 🙂

@stormlantern In my experience 5km mapgen is terrible so I don't mind at all. Normal 5km should stay in the rotation at 1700+ though
As for how to tell what's 15km and what's 20km; look at the outside edges of the map. 15km will have thick black edges, 20km won't. this is also why it's hard to tell what size it is when you're completely zoomed out, since 15km and 20km allow you to zoom out equally far4506007e-c764-4aed-9e8c-2de603ecabb6-image.png

@zwaffelnoob said in MapGen Ladder Week #2 - February 1st through 8th:

@stormlantern In my experience 5km mapgen is terrible so I don't mind at all. Normal 5km should stay in the rotation at 1700+ though
As for how to tell what's 15km and what's 20km; look at the outside edges of the map. 15km will have thick black edges, 20km won't. this is also why it's hard to tell what size it is when you're completely zoomed out, since 15km and 20km allow you to zoom out equally far4506007e-c764-4aed-9e8c-2de603ecabb6-image.png

Oh my word, that map looks unreal cringe with the amount of mexes... thank goodness it was only a test creation for discussion purposes haha.

It was with 4 spawns per team (so a 4v4 map) and the mexes slider (almost) maxed out.
I actually think it would've been pretty good for a 4v4 game, or for 1v1 if there were only 2 spawns

Hmm really it looks like it was a 5v5 spawn map from the mex placement