FAF Website 4.0 on the way!

Please rework the header background image. It looks super odd. The picture is blurry and washed out and looks worse than the ingame graphics

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000 killing Gieb in one sentence (Gieb made that pic, I think it looks pretty nice)

FAF Website Developer

@maudlin27 I do know only two boxes show, it was meant like that since if I had 6 boxes showing all at once, I believed it would add a lot of length to it. I'm not sure if I could make it scrollable, it could be tried.

I think I can just keep Forums in both community and at the top.

Yes! I have plans of adding a better image / animation to the 4 faction columns. currently they are a bit barebones. I'm thinking of adding a "Learn More" button after clicking one of them.

I'll give Co-op it's own tab then, thanks a lot for the feedback!

FAF Website Developer

Just to Note All text and Content is Subject to Decisions Made at the FAF General Meeting. No content is final and wording may change šŸ™‚

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@brutus5000 said in FAF Website 4.0 on the way!:

Please rework the header background image. It looks super odd. The picture is blurry and washed out and looks worse than the ingame graphics

Ouch šŸ˜…
It was a quick job. The blur is depth of field, to draw focus to the acu (and hide the ugliness of the rest of the scene). I'm impartial on it being on the website.

Here is the original:
https://i.imgur.com/ARUEBAG.jpeg

Yeah it's not your effects that make it horrible, but rather the background that looks like map backgrounds from Quake3 or UT in 1999 šŸ˜›

And I'm pretty sure we can argue which ingame picture looks the best. But I still believe the ones from Lidlsid look better.
These are the ones I'm using for the login (all unoptimized yet and hosted on content.faforever.com now):

Aeon+UEF

Aeon

Cybran

Seraphim

UEF

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

Ideas:

1c600630-8780-4c7c-b8b3-4b057e06d139-image.png
remake them as and can be added some gif previews on hover that will show the whole factions in seconds

bd6c6d0f-5767-4382-bdf2-69387326a557-image.png

Rebuild this section with animated gif on scroll. That will show the affect of camera and rendering of icons and etc

a5e9beb8-d8ce-4aba-a4f9-e144e9df515f-image.png

Same for this, static image cant say anything interesting,

6af07062-f031-469c-ad39-867125c36ba5-image.png

Lack of examples of "TOTAL CONTROL
SUPREME COMMANDING"

AND WHERE IS NOMADS man

Strokes, they are everywhere
2ed9731b-4431-43be-ba99-59e082e2c5dc-image.png

2299d212-67b1-42e7-ba7c-c3bbb8ba0939-image.png

@eternal said in FAF Website 4.0 on the way!:

Ideas:

1c600630-8780-4c7c-b8b3-4b057e06d139-image.png
remake them as and can be added some gif previews on hover that will show the whole factions in seconds

Sure this may not be intuitive right now you can click on them and they display an image that would be better with a hover possibly.

Rebuild this section with animated gif on scroll. That will show the affect of camera and rendering of icons and etc

a5e9beb8-d8ce-4aba-a4f9-e144e9df515f-image.png

Same for this, static image cant say anything interesting,

6af07062-f031-469c-ad39-867125c36ba5-image.png

Multiple GIFs on the same page can increase the load on the website as well as for people trying to load the page itself it they are on a metered connection.

AND WHERE IS NOMADS man

Strokes, they are everywhere
2ed9731b-4431-43be-ba99-59e082e2c5dc-image.png

2299d212-67b1-42e7-ba7c-c3bbb8ba0939-image.png

Nomads will not be added as a standalone faction on the website as it is not an OFFICIAL Faction that is in the base game of faf it is a MOD.

I've recently spoken with javi and the final version on the main website will be using the latest version of Bootstrap 5 and buttons will be using the base class from that with a few minor tweaks here and there

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@rowey said in FAF Website 4.0 on the way!:

Multiple GIFs on the same page can increase the load on the website as well as for people trying to load the page itself it they are on a metered connection.

Well-optimized gifs (at the cost of the number of colors) can be quite low in size, especially when they are only a few seconds. It is worth experimenting with, maybe someone else has experience in this matter to help us out.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

This post is deleted!