Legacy client not working

Not even sure it's called the legacy client but I'm pretty sure it is. Was working just fine and about a week ago I tried using it and it won't load anything, shows all players that are on but everybody is grey and no games show up. Does the legacy client not work anymore?

I tried using downlords client but it's just god awful, is there anything else?

An update to the server broke compatibility with the legacy client. Downlord's client is the supported version of the client.

@Sheikah well, good to know it's not just me, do they plan to fix the issue or is downlords the only one that's going to be supported now?

Java client has been the only supported client for several years now. Python client surviving until now was a happy accident. No one will be working on it.

There was a pull request done fixing the issue breaking it, it has just not been released.

There is nobody left to release it I guess. Last one was Strogo, haven't seen him in a while.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@Brutus5000 , oh dear, please bring back faf-legacy-updater, I just finished to fix problems with this client so I could use it again (and even with build problems on my machine, so I could share it with others who really (like me) enjoying it), and now I got server update 18 hours ago. This is ridiculous, don't kill me

Just use the new client?

@Gatsik it the legacy updater is a security risk

Soon™️

I ran a vulnerability scan of the Docker image yesterday and it has over 1.100 (!!) known vulnerabilities, so no I will not bring it back.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

OK, understood, I just got disappointed that I haven't managed to play a single game after my incredible (as I'm dumb af) efforts. Hope it is possible to find a workaround with what's left.

It's more likely to find some body that fixes your issues with the Java client (given you can describe them in a meaningful way).

The features the python client would need to work exist for 4 years now. Nobody bothered so far to implement them.

– Benno Rice

If someone except Gatsik is still interested in this client they can try to test it:
The client that respects the Seton's Clutch and shows the King's of Setons avatar
(yes, that is the main and only advantage of using it)

im interested. Thank you for download link.

Thanks, this python client works and even fixes some problems the old one had.

I call on all FAF players to delete the java client and use this instead. Do not let them force the java client on you!!!

@Gatsik If you want to work and improve on the legacy client, please consider doing it on Github and build it into official releases rather than sharing binary files here.

– Benno Rice

This post is deleted!

For those who have downloaded the previous build and still is not disgusted with the lack of functionality I recommend to download this instead: Unoffcial release of the unofficial client
As with x32 python and older libraries, it is lighter, uses less resources, and has no problems with displaying tooltips and scaling the chat. (Also, with this version I haven't had a single reconnection yet for no reason, but I wouldn't be so optimistic about it)

Gatsik, can you please specify for me all the reasons why you like the legacy client?

Here is my list of reasons for disliking the Java client, just off the top of my head so certainly some are missing:

• The desktop icon doesn't have anti-aliasing.
  • Takes longer to open.
  • Everything is laggy, unresponsive, and janky.
  • Lacks minor nice UI things like highlighting clickable objects when they are moused over (names in user list).
  • Have to manually recolor yourself and all your friends in chat.
  • Has an annoying dancing ACU GIF.
  • UI is inferior in many other ways, takes more clicks/keypresses to do just about everything when compared to python.
  • Replay vault is difficult to find so many new players do not realize it even exists.
  • Replay vault interface is complex and cumbersome so many do not know how to use it, or if you do it still takes more clicks. The replay vault is critical for player improvement so if new players cannot find and use it they will all suck at the game.
  • The notifications are very intrusive so they have to be turned off, which in turn means you cannot see if someone is searching ladder. Even with them enabled it only pops up occasionally. Python is much better since anytime someone is searching it immediately notifies you in an unobtrusive way.
  • The Java client uses much more memory and CPU power, to the point it slows down your entire PC.
  • Java client doesn't run on 32-bit systems or Windows XP even though the game does.
  • Official FAF advice is to close the #aeolus chat tab so it doesn't consume your entire PC, obviously the client is poorly engineered to the extent that it hinders people's FAF experience yet it is made the official client and the only known option for many people.
  • Java client has cost FAF a very large amount of developer time for an inferior and unneeded product. Dev power is supposedly scarce around here and this is an egregious waste. The python client could have simply been refactored and improved. Even after several years of work the Java client is not really any better.