Allow watching replays while in queue

I am not willing to implement a feature that is known to lead to potential crashes or desyncs when launching a matchmaker game.

You have framed it as if it would only affect you, but it also affects all the other players you were matched with who had no option. And would result in a failed match for them.

I wonder if there might be a sufficient solution involving adding functionality that basically automatically force quits any local replay instance(s) when you find a match in queue.

pfp credit to gieb

@sheikah said in Allow watching replays while in queue:

I am not willing to implement a feature that is known to lead to potential crashes or desyncs when launching a matchmaker game.

You have framed it as if it would only affect you, but it also affects all the other players you were matched with who had no option. And would result in a failed match for them.

Well, it'd also make sitting in long queues more enjoyable, potentially leading to faster matches and a better experience for everyone down the road.

That being said, I can totally understand the philosophy that a bad solution is worse than no solution.
My proposed approach of "just let me do it, even if it's dangerous" would certainly fall under the former category after all.

@cheeseberry dude, when I will have time you will be able to watch replays while being in queue, even playing. Right now you can watch live replays only

@fft said in Allow watching replays while in queue:

I was launching 10 game instances at a time and it was ok 😉

And I launch two instances every now and then and half the time one or the other shows a black screen with the logs telling me the driver crashed 🙂

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in Allow watching replays while in queue:

@fft said in Allow watching replays while in queue:

I was launching 10 game instances at a time and it was ok 😉

And I launch two instances every now and then and half the time one or the other shows a black screen with the logs telling me the driver crashed 🙂

Meanwhile I have this happen all the time with single instance lol. Funnily enough ctrl+alt+del and then focusing on the window twice always fixes it.

@sheikah Is there a way to implement the feature to avoid these problems?

If replays had a built-in "kill switch" that can be triggered by the FAF client, then it would be possible to terminate all replays whenever a matchmaker match is found.

This should solve the problems, right? The new matchmaker game would not be started until the replay was terminated, so you wouldn't get desyncs? And because the replay is terminated, you wouldn't have the problem of a player being AFK from his matchmaker game because he was watching the replay when it started

How hard would it be to add that? Is that something we could even do with LUA or would we need the source code?

Fork the client and delete the code restricting you from launching the replay. Don't let the authoritarian java developers tell you what you can and can't do with your game. You are smart enough to see if it crashes your game or not, and use it accordingly.

@thomashiatt said in Allow watching replays while in queue:

Fork the client and delete the code restricting you from launching the replay. Don't let the authoritarian java developers tell you what you can and can't do with your game. You are smart enough to see if it crashes your game or not, and use it accordingly.

Would be nice if replays could display game version, or at least tell if they are on current patch or not.
Also don't know if launching replay of different gamemode will cause problems or not

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

The thing is, its super easy to implement, As long as replay requires patch update and you are being queued, client must say that you cant watch replay. Thats all.