Immediate Quit grants rating - can we not grant rating for <1 minute games?

It seems there a lot of impopular maps it seems, but no matter, if my opponent doesn't want to play I am perfectly willing to draw. However, most just quit. Me being willing to play any map, I get a lot of (over)rating which would presumably cause me to lose more "honest" games and I am here to enjoy playing not to get free rating and not-enjoy losing honest games.

Out of 8 games played I got 4 (50%!) free wins, I don't think that is insignificant:

I have no beef with the players, although I do PM all of them suggesting to offer a draw first if they dislike the map. Also no beef with the councilor determining the map pool, I will complain in the appropriate thread if I have time and care enough at the start of the month.

But if we could disregard <1 minute games for rating that entirely alleviates my concern about getting overrated from this.

Doing this would probably increase the number of games where people quit at the start because now they don't lose anything if they do. Even more quits doesn't improve the general playing experience.

Losing rating also gains win-rate on other maps, but I don't know how the average player looks at this. Aside from unconscious bias that could emerge.

I understand you want some discouragement from quitting, why not block queuing for a number of minutes (6 minutes? = 2 queue rounds?) if you quit?

If they are blocked from queuing for a few minutes that might be a better deterrence.

I like the approach of Dota 2:

• (1) If you leave a game you cannot requeue for a few minutes, from memory it is ten minutes
  • (2) If you leave too many games you get into a 'low priority' queue

This is similar to what Valki describes. (2) is not possible due to the limited userbase and the technical involvement, but (1) sounds reasonable.

As an example, for every game you leave early on you get ten minutes of waiting time. For every game you play that waiting time is reduced with one minute. The waiting time is only applied when you left your previous game. If you leave a lot of games then your waiting time increases significantly. But if you occasionally have to leave a game due to circumstances it will have little to no impact.

I'm not familiar with the implementation of the client / server. This would need to be implemented on the server with a client UI that describes what is going on.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Actually bad idea ppl are willing to loose rating to not play the map and you want them to be punished even more ?
They will just stand afk and wait for other player to finish essentially wasting their own and other player's time ? Why is this better ?

To me the problem is that the "search party" of the game is not stable anymore i crash like half of the games i play on this so i ended up not playing it anymore? i have made like 10 games where i can play for the first 30 secs and end up crashing so might be the same issue here...

Disregarding regarding for <1 minute makes you less overrated but overrates all the dudes that leave games early because they dislike the map or dislike the team they have.

Better to just discourage the behavior by directly impacting player ability to have fun ie make it harder to queue directly.

@unknow said in Immediate Quit grants rating - can we not grant rating for <1 minute games?:

To me the problem is that the "search party" of the game is not stable anymore i crash like half of the games i play on this so i ended up not playing it anymore? i have made like 10 games where i can play for the first 30 secs and end up crashing so might be the same issue here...

Crashing, as in the game crashes?

@jip Yeah and especiallly as aeon i'd say

Going off topic slightly: may I ask if you reported this somewhere? I have no recollection of someone experiencing consecutive crashes on ladder, or anywhere else for that matter

I typed out some long ass response and the forum gobbled it up. Now I’m too depressed to rewrite it again…

There's no need to increase punishment for other people just because someone is unhappy with free rating gain. If you already gave people a map they hate and then you punish them even further by preventing them from queuing again they will just get more mad about it. It's absurd to build systems into FAF that actively prevents people from playing just because someone might get upset with a free win.

It is ultimately pretty insignificant to get a few free wins/losses. The rating system will adapt, your long-term win rate will still be 50%. If you have the motivation to play a map and your opponent doesn't then it's quite likely you would have won anyway.

@jip Sorry, since I tried the latest client I do have crashes starting at least with the second ladder match. Unfortunately, this happens three, four or more times consecutively. I already started a thread with this problem ...

Can you differentiate between the client and the game? Since when did this start to happen?