Graphic Artist Wanted

I vote for askaholic with some fine tuning colours, it is simple yet clear.

Analyze, Adapt, Overcome...

These are 80x40 as 400x200 doesn't translate too well downscaled to 40x20, I asked ftx to use 80x40 instead who asked blackyps/biass who said ok. 400x200 and 40x20 versions are present too.

Sizes comparison (Diamond-1)

400x200
Diamond-1.png
80x40
Diamond-1_medium.png
40x20 (hopefully obsolete in favor of 80x40 but mb useful to have near ava in chat)
Diamond-1_small.png

All icons in 80x40

Bronze

Bronze-5_medium.png
Bronze-4_medium.png
Bronze-3_medium.png
Bronze-2_medium.png
Bronze-1_medium.png

Silver

Silver-5_medium.png
Silver-4_medium.png
Silver-3_medium.png
Silver-2_medium.png
Silver-1_medium.png

Gold

Gold-5_medium.png
Gold-4_medium.png
Gold-3_medium.png
Gold-2_medium.png
Gold-1_medium.png

Diamond

Diamond-5_medium.png
Diamond-4_medium.png
Diamond-3_medium.png
Diamond-2_medium.png
Diamond-1_medium.png

Master

Master-5_medium.png
Master-4_medium.png
Master-3_medium.png
Master-2_medium.png
Master-1_medium.png

Grandmaster (supreme commander is a yikes name)

Grandmaster-Crown_medium.png

And the "acu mask" version that kind of turns the icon into an acu face if you have imagination, or you could say its not a face and just a ladder symbol in the middle as well

Grandmaster-ACU-Face_medium.png

My personal icon (non-negotiable)

Fremy_Speeddraw_medium.png

i think someone won

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

The crown takes the crown? Shame you don't accept the appropriate title of 'Supreme Commander'.

I think the icons are beautiful. I would like to see the 'Master' tier in black/white, but again these look fantastic.

@Fremy_Speeddraw Fantastic stuff! There've been some really nice submissions in this thread but I hope yours gets chosen - lovely work.

Amazing work Petric!

@Fremy_Speeddraw said in Graphic Artist Wanted:

I asked ftx to use 80x40 instead who asked blackyps/biass who said ok.

I'm happy to move the TMM ui around to accomodate these larger icons.

Some questions though:

Have you tried making the numbers not have a gradient/shadow on them so they can be read better?

Also, does this imply anything?
alt text

I'd like to note that if bigger resolutions are indeed allowed that the description of the original post needs an update 🙂 .

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

People should just try making a "big version" first if they already made a small one, if it fits with your existing small icon, we can use the two in tandem.

We need a "big version" for the space indicated in the picture, if you have the time, please place your big icon in that space to help showcase your work.

Also as an aside, please make sure your icons work on a black background.

@Fremy_Speeddraw Nice classy style. This is mainly created by the black background of the pentagon I think. But this may also be why the numbers are hard to read (40x20 almost not readable for me, but I'm old, also..). Maybe its solved when you delete the gradient on the numbers, but you could also experiment with making the background white or any lighter color. Did you already try?

@biass said in Graphic Artist Wanted:

@Fremy_Speeddraw said in Graphic Artist Wanted:

I asked ftx to use 80x40 instead who asked blackyps/biass who said ok.

I'm happy to move the TMM ui around to accomodate these larger icons.

Some questions though:

Have you tried making the numbers not have a gradient/shadow on them so they can be read better?

Also, does this imply anything?
alt text

Non gradient light grey looks a bit out of place, non gradient matching color with the icon is read a little better if you make it very light and contrasting but it's at the cost of looking a bit off again (at least in my view), don't think the difference is big overall, is it actually difficult to read the numbers? Shadow makes no readability difference.

The colors are just from some military ribbons I found in google, maybe could give them texture to better portray the idea or make them shine like metal too, but I'm not making any revisions until I at least have confirmations on usage. I also would have some questions regarding implementation.

For your questions on implementation just contact me.

I talked to biass how we can fit the bigger icons in the team matchmaker ui and we came up with this:
589eaa3d-46de-458f-97d9-59adad798108-grafik.png

Having 40x20 versions is still useful if we want to make the division icons available as avatars.

I really like your icons, but I don't know if anyone else ist still making some.
So if anyone is still working on a proposal for a different icon set, let me or FtX know as soon as possible. I think a two day grace period should be enough. (You don't need to have them finished by then, but I need to know if there is more to come.)

Those look awesome. One thing I've been thinking about though are the roman numerals, as a lot of ideas have included them, but I am not convinced that they're the way to go.

The issue I have is that their progression doesn't make sense visually. Like, we go from additional lines meaning higher number: I, II, III, to all of a sudden fewer lines meaning higher number: IV, V. It kindof breaks with the whole idea of having more stuff mean higher number. You can see in @tatsu's first submission that the IV has to get squeezed in with a smaller font in order to fit in the same space. Plus when you read roman numerals like IV, you are forced to do math in your head: "lets see... IV means I -> 1 and V -> 5 so I need to swap the order and subtract 5-1=4!". And sure, you can expect most people to just have this memorized because of experience, but I just feel like there must be a more intuitive way to represent the tier than roman numerals.

For example here is a little modification I threw together in a few minutes:
diamond-modified-2.png
I think it's pretty clear what each of those means without me needing to explain anything, and actually looks pretty good too (ignoring the sloppiness). No need to do math as our brains are naturally able to count objects (up to about 7 or 8 I believe). It could be any object really, stripes or diamonds, or circles; I just thought the 5 pointed star fit nicely inside of the pentagon.

@biass thoughts?

@tatsu

Tier 1 , <-- Does this need or can have an icon also??
Subdivision 1
etc

Thanks

@Askaholic said in Graphic Artist Wanted:

@biass thoughts?

I completely agree with you.

I think that these icons are more or less going to be used unless anyone has some serious competition, so if you (petric) had questions regarding their use feel free to ask me as well

I'll start doing revisions today/tomorrow if noone will show up.

Meanwhile my questions are:

Is the in-division rank going to be displayed over/near the icon? Here is how SC2 does it le image

This would be a good incentive to keep climbing even if you aren't yet close to breaching into the next division, it's also quite necessary for the grandmaster rank as the amount of people there is small. I assume it will be 1800+ which makes sense, but just like in SC2 the difference between low GM and top GM is absolutely massive and that should be displayed using the rank number. I also heard some suggestions from nexus/tagada that there could be separate icons altogether for very top ranks, this could potentially be extended to leagues other than gm but that runs into a problem of people wanting to keep a high place in their league without advancing, hence just reserved for gm. The numbers representing rank within league should still be available for all leagues. I'm willing to make some extra highest rank GM icons if the code support for it will be there.

Having support for separate icons within the same league also would allow unique, possibly personal icons, very much like avatars. It's a tricky implementation but here's my idea:

• First of all, it only really makes sense in GM, this is how I imagine it. A season starts and everyone loses their division while their trueskill value is stored and used in placement matches, ideally with some deviation tweaks during this period, after those matches you are placed where appropriate, very likely just where you were last time and where you are supposed to be. This is roughly how SC2 does it, I asked ftx and the current idea is just dropping you to the lowest subdivision in your last season's division at the start of new season but this is bad because stagnant players that got lucky and happened to hit a higher league could stop playing once the next season hits while keeping their high league icon. You don't even need to advance, if you are happy with whatever icon you have you can just play in one season and relax.
  • You play every season again to get an icon assigned along with a division, this is an incentive to play and the main difference from avatars. If you get placed in GM and you have a unique icon assigned then you also have it displayed, if you get placed in a lower league then you have your normal Master or whatever league icon until you can get to GM again.
  • Ideally in the client somewhere there will be division icon manager area just like there is a window for managing avatars, there will also be a checkbox for "☑ Use selected unique division icon" otherwise just use the unique icon by default.
  • It only really makes sense in GM unless you check the trueskill of the person getting unique icon at that moment, or ideally not just at the moment but over time and assign him an "expected" league. Then if they play ladder and get placed in that league or higher they can wear their icon. Or they can wear normal icon if there is UI to manage that, that is incentive to play and also to not slack off with your gameplay.

The benefit of this over the avatars is that unlike avatars it actually would require you to be active to have your icon displayed. Also it will be high res instead of a tiny abomination. If it's GM only we could have big tournaments' prizes have unique division icons, if it's the "trueskill expectation" system then on top of that we can also do stuff similar to current ladder month and give out unique division icons based on whatever performance metrics, especially because ladder month will be obsoleted and the avatar/monetary rewards will be gone. Also makes a lot more sense to have division icon prize for ladder achievements, if you are very active you probably care more about that than a chat avatar. And to show it off you would have to play at least the placement matches for the next season where you actually get your unique icons.

I'm going for the theme of what happens when you defeat an opponent in supreme commander faf, it's a nuclear explosion. I'd like the approach of sticking with supreme commander rather than helmets and candies. Although fremie candies do look good, but maybe they should be used in crystal explosion or gum drop line up games instead and not a serious RTS. Eagle and Brimstone2_0019_1 white.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0018_1 bronze.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0017_1 silver.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0016_1 gold.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0015_2 white.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0014_2 bronze.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0013_2 silver.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0012_2 gold.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0011_3 white.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0010_3 bronze.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0009_3 silver.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0008_3 gold.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0007_4 white.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0006_4 bronze.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0005_4 silver.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0004_4 gold.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0003_5 white.jpg
Eagle and Brimstone2_0002_5 bronze.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0001_5 silver.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2_0000_5 gold.jpg Eagle and Brimstone2.jpg

Edit: I wasn't aware it was a "nazi" german eagle. Thanks.

Please don't tell me you actually thought we would accept a logo with the fucking Reichsadler on it.

There is no need to put nazi in quotation marks. That eagle literally carries a swastika in his claws in the uncropped version.

My vote is for ............. Other than me................... Is Tatsu second entry. Not that it's worth mentioning but yes I didn't know what a Reichsadler was until I read a the wiki page for it, and I promptly removed it. I put nazi in quotation marks because there's so many eagles out there that are american and in the search I did, I keyed in "american eagle flags/medals" and that was one of the search results, you can thank google. But if that's not the reason your pointing this out! But because the powers that be a.k.a owners of faf already have decided on an icon idea and wanted to see if someone would come up with something better. Please please reconsider the helmets and candy icons, anything would be better than kindergarten oriented ideas.