Showing where PD can attack depending on terrain

ALthough chances are the PD can't attack something that is on high terrain so the current system might actually be more accurate...

And there's different arcs and other issues. I don't think this game is fit for a solution that we want 🙂

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I guess it is computationally intensive in the case we want to see it while the turret is preselected (because it has to be done "live" and calculated for each position we place the turret). Hence, what if there is an option we can press that checks on a specific spot if it is possible?

Would it still be too computationally intensive? Doing things this way would only make the computation "once" for a specific spot (I don't know if I am clear with my question).

Thanks.

I understand your question / approach - I'm just pondering about the implementation. I don't think we'll see this happening any time soon. There are more pressing issues / features.

What about displaying something that would make terrain more visible while PD is selected? Some kind of contour overlay or color-coded height map. That wouldn't require as much computation power and would still make it easier to tell when you're putting PD somewhere stupid.

But yeah I agree, it shouldn't be a priority. Just brainstorming

That would be a cheap solution (adjust the normals used for lighting calculations of the terrain to make bumps more visible). But we have no access to the engine - we can't add it in.

@arma473 hello starcraft my old friend

I guess from time to time everybody runs into this frustration. I see that the computing-intensity is a problem, but cant it be precalculated once?
The "hit-ability" of a given coordinate on a map is just a function of a given PD and its Placement-coordinate. Both are constant through the game so its possible to calculate a table pregame and read it. That table could as Property of the map. To minimize this, you can spread the coordinate a bit - we dont need pixel-accuration here.

@c-star Although theoretically possible, storing that information accurately enough (eg checking every 2x2 square) would require a large amount of memory, and take a long rime to load, on larger maps (eg 81kmx81km). The number of calculations would also vastly exceed the number required if a real time calculation was done, even if the calculations could be done upfront/spread out over the first 60s of gametime

would simple semi-transparent flat circle, rendered at the height of PD turret help?
it should clip under terrain in places where PD cannot shoot... this can help, however it does not guarantee anything at all...

maybe make pd spray fake projectiles (with same ballistic characteristics) and then you will for sure see areas where it can or can't hit (ray tracing lol, can reduce number of projectiles if performance is bad)... however no idea how that supposed to work if you move your mouse around a lot

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd