Legend of the Stars Group Map Pool (not final release)

In order to give players plenty of time to prepare for the Legend of the Stars tournament, the map pool is being release this Thursday, 25th of November at 17:00 UTC.

Please respond to this thread to point out any egregious issues with the maps I may not be aware of such as:

1. Cheese meta
  2. Severe Gameplay Issues
  3. Technical issues (mexes, hydros, terrain) preventing maps from not being playable

Again, only the players participating in the even shall discuss this. I will consider replacing or using some maps not mentioned if a majority (greater than 8 people) agree to it.

alt text

I would love to publicly speak out on a few maps but I am scared that my opponents will take notes and prep appropriately. The mindgames have begun.

Morax I must remind you that LOTS isn't a 4v4 tourney...

I don't think funeral plains, monument valley, tropical touch, corona, selkie isle, adaptive metir, adaptive crateria, wonder open, adaptive maridia, and seraphim outpost quite fit the whole 1v1 thang. If you want to experiment, LOTS is not the time.

Tropical touch (torch? idr) is good, but I'm with you on the rest. I also don't think it is in the map vault anymore so I don't think it can be played due to that reason. Tried to pick that for some tournament a few months back and was very disappointed.

2b27dfd7-a16b-4829-b0cf-6d8f5aae0470-image.png

Yeah, just look through Swkoll's tourneys and take maps from there, also it's usually best to do what Swkoll does which is to have some core maps which are classics + mapgen that every group has and then some extra maps that are group based but please do not put not 1vs1 maps in, like what the actual fuck.

it is good practice to do this, since it will exclude the sandbox of classic cards that are worn to holes and really show the skill

if someone really doesn't like something within the framework of those three points, it's better to describe them than just yell and be indignant

Please respond to this thread to point out any egregious issues with the maps I may not be aware of such as:
Cheese meta
Severe Gameplay Issues
Technical issues (mexes, hydros, terrain) preventing maps from not being playable
Again, only the players participating in the even shall discuss this. I will consider replacing or using some maps not mentioned if a majority (greater than 8 people) agree to it.

Sandbox is literally MORE of a problem with completely unknown maps than with well played ones.

If both players know the map well (the case with classics) it mostly rules out the possibility of games being lost in 5 minutes due to

1. one of the players having prepared better for the new map
  2. neither player having prepared, but one BY CHANCE having a much better opening

Neither of these account for skill. Games on classic maps give the players a higher chance to show their skill because the randomness factor is reduced by a lot. Selkie Isle, Seraphim Outpost and Metir for instance are maps with infinite BO practicing potential, and one player being given the edge over another due to sandbox seems to be exactly what you don't want.

I'd strongly suggest replacing some of the maps in there.

profile picture credits to petric

this is the essence of tournaments, to show yourself on a completely new field with an equal number of days to prepare, otherwise you are no better than a crater who knows the best builds on the map in advance

lol

ERROR
Please enter a longer post. Posts should contain at least 8 character(s).

profile picture credits to petric

l o l

Forumpros doing balance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SJhLlucMXE .
When a canis player remembers to build more than 3 units https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjp8xJHuyA .

What is the minimum of 8 characters even supposed to prevent? Can't it be disabled?

The essence of tournaments is watching the games on FAFLive and betting chat points on the outcome. Who wins or has some kind of skill doesn't matter at all. I do think it is nice for the maps to be familiar and simple enough for smooth-brains to understand what is going on.

at least someone was able to tell the truth that no one cares about the tournament and the competitive part

What shows you are no better than astro bo monkey:

1. Prepping a new map where you get an autowin because your first games on a new map give the best return on bo time investment and so you need to do this for all the new maps in the pool and rule out where are trap tactics that are actually inefficient because nobody got to experiment in ladder/smaller tourneys/custom games with the map. Now the dudes that have the pain tolerance to go and spend the several hours per map doing this automatically win tournament games and nothing interesting happens in the actual game for the audience to be excited about, it's just watching two dudes exercise the prep they did prior

2. An old map where you need massive time investment in bo prep for similar returns in "skill" to new map prep because most cheese has been experienced on the old map and everyone understands what to expect in a typical game. Therefore, the tournament isn't coming down to who had the chance to dump the most hours in sandbox prepping bos to keep in an excel sheet but rather comes down to actual in game decision-making. Prep gives some advantage, but it isn't game deciding and typically needs to go against the grain rather than being some brutal efficient expansion path that another dude didn't realize he could do because he didn't sandbox to figure out 10ke exists in trees on the way to Y mex so he could skip 4 pgens for 2nd air.

If you want to DO new maps then you cannot release map pools. At all. You also need to pick maps that were somehow decent but never picked up for ladder without varying so far from ladder or typical gameplay that you begin to favor specific playstyles. You'd also basically need to do the pool yourself with no feedback from others at the risk of people leaking maps to players.

But if you went that far, you might as well as just use map gen and save yourself the headache.

I'd also say the new map stuff encourages a generally poisonous high level culture that adds onto the difficulty of "breaking into the scene" because

1. it is a direct harm on you as the old player to go and prep maps in public, so the new player must learn about the various ways to prep offline
  2. you're going to need to find an old player that actually will explain that to you
  3. even with this, old players tend to prep with people that they "know" so you're still not likely to get any help from anyone because nobody wants to make their competition better or risk their own prep leaking

Also I get that the pool has already changed, but it's important it's recognized by people why exactly it has to be changed since no rationale has been posted or discussed.

Yeah I will post the rationale, but as it’s the holidays I’m with family for awhile, seeing friends I don’t get to see often.

Please be a bit human and allow me time to respond properly?