I bought Forged Alliance, but not on Steam. Can I still play on FAF?

Well, from the git I can see that the main issue is:

All GOG needs to do is make us a selected Partners (Permit us to read what games ppl own for users that authorize us) but I guess they don't want to (or just too busy to do that don't know)and that is not in FAF's hands.

But the public gog profiles already allow a user to expose their list of games. Though there is no way to expose the list only to the FAF. It can only be exposed to no one, to friends, to all gog users, or to all visitors.

So if a user can:

• Prove that they own the gog account
  • Expose the owned games to FAF

Then the FAF shall be able to link the gog account to the FAF user and to check that the gog account owns a copy of the supreme commander.

Looking up user's games list could be done even without the API, just by parsing the user profile HTML page that is exposed to "all visitors". This is an ugly solution, but can be used temporarily.

Though I do not know how mush of an issue would be proving that the FAF user owns the GOG account.

It is a shame that the GOG do not want to share the proper API for accessing this data.

Yes you captured it in the last paragraph there. Just parsing the html page does not prove that you actually own the account. The only way to prove you both own the account and have the game would be to use the API that we do not have access to.

So if a user can:

• Prove that they own the gog account
  • Expose the owned games to FAF

This is exactly what the steam linking process does. Steam offers a web login for external service to verify the ownership of the account. It's very old and mostly considered unsafe, but good enough for us.

Gog does not offer a similar thing. If they were using regular OAuth2 tokens on their website I would have had a nasty workaround. But they use session cookies instead 😞

Geosearchef found a way how we can make it happen folks.

Finally GoG linking is coming to town! (soon ™ )

OMG! Geo! Well Done!!!

I'll see what I can do, it should work out, but hey, this is FAF, so soon™.

Hi guys. I'm curious to know what does mean "soon" with trademark logo?

Soon™️ Is a trademark of forged alliance. We’ve redefined the word "soon" to be relative to normal faf development times...

Note, soon™️ is not the same as soon. If you expect something that will be done soon™️ to be done soon you will severely dissapointed!

It's an insider joke among FAF devs because we expected so many things "soon" that still took years to develop.

Thank you. I know better what to expect about gog version... Anyways, I can train myself in skirmish mode and it's still challenging (but not the same...)