I bought Forged Alliance, but not on Steam. Can I still play on FAF?

Are there any news regarding GOG version? I recently bought FA from gog because I wanted to go back to playing FAF, but I can't.

Nothing has changed.

Is FAF really a community-driven project? because to me this seems like a business-corporate decision to lock it on steam. What about those old-timers who have a physical copy of the game? or people like me who prefer gog because we don't want to run steam client everytime we want to play a game? this decision is something that money-driven corporations would do.

@pauliuso

@brutus5000 said in I bought Forged Alliance, but not on Steam. Can I still play on FAF?:

Case 1: You own a retail copy of Forged Alliance

According to GPGs last statement, you can use your CD key and redeem a licence on Steam.

If you have a gold edition (Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance in one) you have two CD keys, and from my personal experience each of them can be redeemed for a gold edition on Steam. (-> so you could give one cd key to a friend πŸ˜‰ )

If you refuse to use Steam in general, then you can't play. (Read more why we require Steam here.)

@pauliuso said in I bought Forged Alliance, but not on Steam. Can I still play on FAF?:

or people like me who prefer gog because we don't want to run steam client everytime we want to play a game?

You need to steam link ONCE. Thats the only time you need to run steam.

yeah but it's not the point. that's not gonna be something he's willing to do

Ball's in GOG's court. I think GOG lied to us. I think they never contacted Square Enix and they're perfectly happy with this situation and they think that if people play FAF they'll somehow browse less of GOG.

"To protect ourselves, we decided to make sure that each user of FAF owns a valid licence of Forged Alliance."

I see the reasoning, but isn't it the responsibility for the end-user to own a legit copy of the game? For example Gameranger provides a similar service like FAF and they aren't non-profit, they are business and they get money for their service, and they don't need to check if user has a legit game, so why should FAF community worry about it?

FAF won’t have much of a community when we get hit with a cease and desist yeah?

Long story short FAF has pertinent legal reasons to worry about itself in relation to the IP owners. Steamlink is the solution. There will not be a policy change unless FAF changes its own distribution methods or we get a new legal owner.

Understood, thanks for clearing that out! πŸ™‚

@pauliuso AFAIK GameRanger doesn't distribute modified game code like FAF does.