I bought Forged Alliance, but not on Steam. Can I still play on FAF?

Case 1: You own a retail copy of Forged Alliance

According to GPGs last statement, you can use your CD key and redeem a licence on Steam.

If you have a gold edition (Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance in one) you have two CD keys, and from my personal experience each of them can be redeemed for a gold edition on Steam. (-> so you could give one cd key to a friend 😉 )

If you refuse to use Steam in general, then you can't play. (Read more why we require Steam here.)

Case 2: You bough the game on GOG.com

Sorry, we do not support licence checking on GOG. We are in contact with GOG to resolve this issue.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

Now that GOG has GOG-Link functional, and is being used by (for example) humble-bundle
https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047622913-GOG-Direct-Redemption
Could it be implemented for FAF?

@Brutus5000 said in I bought Forged Alliance, but not on Steam. Can I still play on FAF?:

We are in contact with GOG to resolve this issue.

Can we hit them up again? and insist on using gog link?

Through GOG's poor judgement on this with trying to get square enix to say that FAF doesn't need any proof of purchase, they effectively punished the thousands of GOG supcom and supcom FA players for 9 months now, when these potential community members could have been enjoying FAF just like the steam key owners get to.

Hi, is GOG supported yet?

@ludac No GOG is not Supported. this Post will be updated once it is

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

Forged alliance from GOG works with FAF

@b1adam ...care to elaborate? a step-by-step video would be nice.
do you also own it on steam? because if so yes, of course that would work, FAF only needs 1 proof of purchase, not multiple, the game files themselves can come from anywhere. but that's not what the gamers on GOG will want, they will want to only purchase it on GOG and never have to use steam even once.

Recently I rebuild my laptop and installed this from GOG:
https://www.gog.com/game/supreme_commander_gold_edition

After that FAF client and run a coop and it worked without issue. There is nothing more to be done.
I can try to do instruction in coming week.

Did you reinstall the client or did you create an entirely new account? The former doesn’t require steamlink, the latter does.

The source of the game files doesn’t matter, what matters is verifying proof of purchase so that FAF will let you log in. This is currently only supported through linking your faf account to a steam account that owns a copy of supcom.

This post is deleted!

there's an activation key normally with the CD.

whatever code allows you to activate your game when you run the installation from the Forged Alliance CD.

that same code will work on steam when you :

• Add a Game > Activate a product on steam

Are there any news regarding GOG version? I recently bought FA from gog because I wanted to go back to playing FAF, but I can't.

Nothing has changed.

Is FAF really a community-driven project? because to me this seems like a business-corporate decision to lock it on steam. What about those old-timers who have a physical copy of the game? or people like me who prefer gog because we don't want to run steam client everytime we want to play a game? this decision is something that money-driven corporations would do.

@pauliuso

@brutus5000 said in I bought Forged Alliance, but not on Steam. Can I still play on FAF?:

Case 1: You own a retail copy of Forged Alliance

According to GPGs last statement, you can use your CD key and redeem a licence on Steam.

If you have a gold edition (Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance in one) you have two CD keys, and from my personal experience each of them can be redeemed for a gold edition on Steam. (-> so you could give one cd key to a friend 😉 )

If you refuse to use Steam in general, then you can't play. (Read more why we require Steam here.)

@pauliuso said in I bought Forged Alliance, but not on Steam. Can I still play on FAF?:

or people like me who prefer gog because we don't want to run steam client everytime we want to play a game?

You need to steam link ONCE. Thats the only time you need to run steam.

yeah but it's not the point. that's not gonna be something he's willing to do

Ball's in GOG's court. I think GOG lied to us. I think they never contacted Square Enix and they're perfectly happy with this situation and they think that if people play FAF they'll somehow browse less of GOG.

"To protect ourselves, we decided to make sure that each user of FAF owns a valid licence of Forged Alliance."

I see the reasoning, but isn't it the responsibility for the end-user to own a legit copy of the game? For example Gameranger provides a similar service like FAF and they aren't non-profit, they are business and they get money for their service, and they don't need to check if user has a legit game, so why should FAF community worry about it?

FAF won’t have much of a community when we get hit with a cease and desist yeah?

Long story short FAF has pertinent legal reasons to worry about itself in relation to the IP owners. Steamlink is the solution. There will not be a policy change unless FAF changes its own distribution methods or we get a new legal owner.