Overcome language barriers with a "chat wheel" with standard messages

Voice could be optional and you could include a cooldown, like only voice things every 15 seconds (or whatever setting the player wants). Me personally, having voice would be useful if I'm getting GOOD advice. So I would prefer the option to turn it on in games.

@arma473 speaking of multipronged attacks on the senses; is there a way to add a visual que for a strategic launch? Sometimes I play without sound.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

@kalethequick said in Overcome language barriers with a "chat wheel" with standard messages:

@arma473 speaking of multipronged attacks on the senses; is there a way to add a visual que for a strategic launch? Sometimes I play without sound.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to mod the game to always send a chat message whenever the "strategic launch detected" sound plays

If you made a mod like that (1) you might want to give a different chat message based on whether it's a teammate or an enemy firing the nuke. I don't think that would be "cheating" because you can already tell this, if you have sound, based on whether there is a "ping" or not. I think it even would be fair to give the name of the teammate who fired the nuke, in the chat message (because it is knowable who issued a ping). But obviously not the name of the enemy.

and (2) you would need to be careful not to give extra info, such as the number of nukes. If 4 missiles launch at the same time, you should only get 1 chat message. If the mod told you the number of missiles that launched, I do think that would be "cheating" because it would give an unfair advantage.

And if there was some custom visualization of a nuke launch, like a picture that shows up on the screen, that would be cool too. But I think the way to go is to start with a pure chat-based mod, and then once people get that working with no bugs, consider moving to a different notification method.

Voiced pings would be an unneeded complication of one's life (scripting it) and totally useless game-wise.
Air player on Seton's Clutch does not need to hear voiced pings addressed to the front player by one of the navy players.

No need to invent a bike, in other games (maybe in not all) the smart pings are just a ping accompanied with specific information that remains on screen for some seconds.

Idea for a ping:

Hide your ACU, snipe possible.

The Honorable Recall

Also, has anyone looked into "VoiceAttack"

For example, here is a mod for the game Bannerlord https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3?tab=description which lets you shout commands at your computer

I couldn't think of any good use scenarios for it, other than things like "pause all air factories" "unpause all air factories" pause/unpause "all mexes" that sort of thing. pause/unpause ACU.

I don't think there's enough value in being able to issue voice commands to justify it. But part of me thinks it would be cool to be able to yell at the computer while I play.

@arma473 I mean, voice command is the future. But without modding the engine or other wild shenanigans, this game is in the past.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

@kalethequick I don't know the details, but I think it would be possible to add support for VoiceAttack. I believe the necessary interface could be written in LUA. I just don't think it's worth the effort.

I don't think voice command is the future for RTS. You can get a lot more precision with mouse and keyboard. There are only a few things I can think of where voice could be more useful than trying to do something with mouse/keyboard, mostly things that would involve trying to select a lot of different units/buildings that are spread out. Even if you can set up keybinds for that, it's not easy to remember 100 keybinds, but it should be easy to remember 100 voice commands when they all follow a pattern, e.g. "Select all land factories" vs. "Select all air factories" rather than trying to remember "select all land facs, I bound that as ctrl-shift-L, and select all air factories is ctrl-shift-p" and then you press ctrl-k by mistake

An RTS that primarily functioned through voice commands would have to have a relatively low level of complexity, so I don't think it would be fun, and if it's that simple, keyboard + mouse would probably just be faster and better for most aspects of it anyway.

I am not going to implement voice commands. If anything this should be done by an external application that mimics a hotkey or something similar.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@arma473 is VoiceAttack a program that exists already? I have not heard of it.

I mean voice commands are the future in general, not as the primary way of interaction but as a supplemental tool, just like your examples. But taken to a further, star trek holodeck, extreme. I remember playing Artemis in college, where the ship captain only tells the others what to do. That's voice to humans, but I'm hopeful for the future of the tech. So I often imagine potential commands as if I were some sort of supreme commander, and could just say "Reclaim all the T1 factories in the main base," "Upgrade the next oldest t1 mex," or "retreat." Those are kinda beyond the scope of FAF, it not being a game you play with a python console, but it would help a lot with target priorities. "Target priority point defense." Or "Target only engineers" and such. Especially as the menu disappears if a unit dies.

"retreat"

If you could give a 1-word command that made all selected units retreat in an orderly fashion, maybe keeping heavy tanks in front of units like arty instead of having a traffic jam . . . that probably would be too powerful of a tool. Too much like the computer is playing the game for you.

Too much like "balance my economy"

And if "retreat" just sent them backwards in a sloppy way, how is that more useful than just right clicking the ground to make them go back.

"Target priority point defense." Or "Target only engineers"

Those sound like useful voice commands. Hunting through the grid-menu to click on stuff is kind of annoying. It might legitimately be easier with voice commands. Something like "select all navy", "target priority destroyers" would be an appropriate thing for voice commands.

@arma473 said in Overcome language barriers with a "chat wheel" with standard messages:

If you could give a 1-word command that made all selected units retreat in an orderly fashion, maybe keeping heavy tanks in front of units like arty instead of having a traffic jam . . . that probably would be too powerful of a tool. Too much like the computer is playing the game for you.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be of that mind; I am not. I literally want to be able to establish or train these behaviors, then summon them with a command. As I said, FAF isn't the place for that.

Though if I won the lottery hiring a team to rework pathfinding to get rid of those traffic jams would be 100% worth it. That's about all SC2 got right.

Just curious, any progress on this? It was a great idea!

There has not been any progress. Once we know what we'd like to say and have the translations then I can make a wheel.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Hey! It's a good feature, but i would recommend to try Better Chat mod, you can add any phase you want

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods