Client says my friend needs to prove ownership of game, when he clicks link it gives him error

java.lang.IllegalStateException: State returned by user service does not match initial state
at com.faforever.client.login.LoginController.lambda$initialize$13(LoginController.java:235)
at com.sun.javafx.binding.ExpressionHelper$SingleChange.fireValueChangedEvent(ExpressionHelper.java:181)
at com.sun.javafx.binding.ExpressionHelper.fireValueChangedEvent(ExpressionHelper.java:80)
at javafx.beans.property.ReadOnlyStringPropertyBase.fireValueChangedEvent(ReadOnlyStringPropertyBase.java:72)
at javafx.beans.property.ReadOnlyStringWrapper.fireValueChangedEvent(ReadOnlyStringWrapper.java:103)
at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.markInvalid(StringPropertyBase.java:111)
at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:145)
at javafx.scene.web.WebEngine.updateLocation(WebEngine.java:434)
at javafx.scene.web.WebEngine$LoadWorker.dispatchLoadEvent(WebEngine.java:1364)
at javafx.scene.web.WebEngine$PageLoadListener.dispatchLoadEvent(WebEngine.java:1239)
at com.sun.webkit.WebPage.fireLoadEvent(WebPage.java:2524)
at com.sun.webkit.WebPage.fwkFireLoadEvent(WebPage.java:2369)
at com.sun.webkit.network.URLLoaderBase.twkWillSendRequest(Native Method)
at com.sun.webkit.network.HTTP2Loader.lambda$willSendRequest$14(HTTP2Loader.java:497)
at com.sun.webkit.network.HTTP2Loader.lambda$callBackIfNotCanceled$10(HTTP2Loader.java:437)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:428)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:427)
at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$runLoop$3(WinApplication.java:174)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:832)

He has played this with us many times, this just happened today. Help!

Your friend needs to link his faf account with his steam account which can be done on the website at FAForever.com/account/link

@sheikah He has done that, it says his account was already linked but when he tries to login even after confirming the account is linked, it still displays the error.

And it always displays the error that the state is not the expected state?

@sheikah That is correct.

@Brutus5000 do you know any common reason why we would get an incorrect state back unless the redirect was wrong?

@Th13fL0rd can you upload the client.log file after you get this error. To view the log file you can go to C:ProgramData/FAFOREVER/logs

2021-09-30 14:46:48.192 WARN 14412 --- [JavaFX Application Thread] c.f.client.login.LoginController : Reported state does not match there is something fishy going on. Saved State DcRIDgArnc85hm2Jq3bf24nLrE2AxFMDJLXXY5Y5C9zDTaYFooRkhoDlBlK, Returned State FqSKff9t+jVqeiKBGPtXS8oI, Location https://hydra.faforever.com/oauth2/auth?response_type=code&client_id=faf-website&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.faforever.com%2Fcallback&scope=openid%20openid%20public_profile%20write_account_data&state=FqSKff9t%2BjVqeiKBGPtXS8oI
2021-09-30 14:47:00.133 WARN 14412 --- [JavaFX Application Thread] c.f.client.fa.relay.ice.IceAdapterImpl : Ignoring call to ICE adapter as we are not connected: quit([])
2021-09-30 14:47:00.136 INFO 14412 --- [JavaFX Application Thread] com.faforever.client.config.AsyncConfig : Shutting down ExecutorService 'taskExecutor'
2021-09-30 14:47:00.137 INFO 14412 --- [JavaFX Application Thread] c.f.client.remote.FafServerAccessorImpl : Closing lobby server connection
2021-09-30 14:47:00.137 WARN 14412 --- [JavaFX Application Thread] com.faforever.commons.lobby.FafLobbyApi : Attempting to disconnect while never connected
2021-09-30 14:47:00.138 INFO 14412 --- [JavaFX Application Thread] o.s.s.c.ThreadPoolTaskScheduler : Shutting down ExecutorService 'taskScheduler'

This was in the client log? And your friend just installed it as normal from the website?

@Brutus5000 that client I'd says it is responding to the website client, maybe the wires are getting crossed?

This was in the client log, and yes he re-installed it as well as the game itself just to be sure and still the same error occurs.

What is the username of the player that has problems? (And why his he not posting himself?)

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000 His username is Godfather123 and he works awful hours, wheras I am on vacation so I am helping him with this.

@brutus5000 He gave me his login information so it's not just his computer this issue is occurring on but mine as well so I figure it's got to be something with his account itself. He can log on to the FAF website, but can't get into the client. He's already tried re-linking the account with Steam as well as re-syncing the account on the webpage.

Ok so just to state this: The account is currently not linked with steam.
Nevertheless the error above is weird and needs some investigation. Unfortunately it's midnight here and my FAF time is over for now. Will check on it in the next days.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000 That doesn't make sense because we have been playing for years on the client, and once the account is linked to Steam it cannot be unlinked. He tried to link his account last night and it said it was already linked as well. But that's fair, please look further into the issue later! Have a good night.