First, I want to thank everyone for their hard work while not being paid to keep faf alive. This is excellent.
What is not excellent is my experience with the patch so far. I am having numerous problems that are ruining my ability to play this game anymore.
- shift-queued orders for engineers are dropping about half the time. I will queue up a series of events such as build these mexes -> hydro -> mexes -> fact
They input, I see them, then they vanish a few seconds later. My engies completely forget everything given to them.
This is not limited to only individual units, but also factories. I have in one game told a factory to build a unit 5 - 10 times only to have the factory cease building a few seconds later.
I haven't changed how I input commands. I have changed nothing. This was not an issue before this update. Now it happens every game.
- I will do something simple such as ctrl k a mex and try and select a t3 eng that has adjoining t1 engies to build a t3 mex in its place. I can't select the t3 eng half the time anymore, instead my mouse grabs a yellow marker and drags that but never selects the engie. The only solution is to try and click over and over until it works. It feels as if I'm trying to grab butter with greased fingers.
I have done this thousands of times in the past. Before this update this was never a problem.
- Strange things such as I tell a CMDR to upgrade to t2 -> t3, then a few moments later I will have selected another unit and a walk command will be issued to the CMDR breaking the upgrade. In the past this would not happen. You could not make an upgrading CMDR break the upgrade by issuing a move command. But this is happening now. I am also seeing this happen with factories. I will have one upgrading from t2 to t3 and suddenly it will stop upgrading.
To me it seems as if there's something broken on the input layer that is carrying over commands from other events and jumbling them with others. I'm not a developer anymore, I haven't written code in fifteen or more years, so I leave this to the developers of faf to figure this out.
- Other strange things such as I'll have units assigned to assist the CMDR. I will then tell the CMDR to start building something. While the t3 pgen is building, for example, in the past I might tell the CMDR to move to upgrade a mex or something else, leaving t1 engies making the pgen. They would continue to do this. Now, in this update, they might randomly stop building the t3 pgen before completion and move back to the CMDR to start assisting again.
This makes no sense.
- I may have a group of engies assigned to assist a t2 mex to upgrade to t3 and then make storages. In the past they would all do this, then move to the next mex in the queue. Now, I am finding that three or four may start the storages while the rest leave and move to the next mex, as if some mystical force is directing them to stop doing what I told them to.
I don't know what's been changed, but the behavior of my game has changed greatly since the latest development version was pushed to live.
mods I use:
Advanced Attack Priorities 1.1
Penguin's Icon Mod