**Platinum question**

@rezy-noob my reaction was not out of concern for balance. I worry that many mechanics in this game including this one have too little return for their cost. Cost being player effort, return being fun and game depth.

This change would definitely disrupt balance slightly.

I'd rather like to know why it's possible to repair a super complex ASF in a staging facility but there is no repair station for a simple T1 tank

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

Repair station for land units sounds like a pathfinding noobtrap

@ftxcommando I'm already getting PTSD thinking about tanks trying to access a repair station lol.

I think land units are more expendable than air so it's normal for them to not be repaired / re-fueled.

FAF Website Developer

@ftxcommando said in **Platinum question**:

I suggest we add ground units to the game with the ability to repair other units within range with some kind of beam. Maybe one for each Tier.

Better not make this ability too expensive or nobody will use it and forget it even exists...

@valki Im confused, have we not used engineers before????

Hates dumb questions and recommendations.

Repairing ASFs for zero cost is not a good feature at all. It ensures that whoever loses the air battle will have an even harder time coming back, making t3 air even more dominant.

@hinthunter said in **Platinum question**:

@ovo in general to prevent plebs from patroling the whole map, if anything I would reduce amount of fuel for some units to make air staging more viable, not by much tho.

What are you even talking about lol, that's not the reason at all. It's too add strategic depth to the air game, so air planes are intended to have bounding limits. It starts to appear on larger maps because it's a feature intended to work better and better as the Map grows. Also air staging is viable either way because repairing air units for example

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

@ftxcommando said in **Platinum question**:

You can create an aura around such a station if you were to even consider adding that. The aura would essentially be a range in which it repairs and such like being attached to the actual staging fixes those clumping issues and such.

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer

If no fuel, then infinite range mercies. Good idea anyone? No, didn't think so.

@snagglefox I’m ready to sneakily snipe the enemy air player with a mercy rush on setons

@azraeel That's a great idea. If it was a whole aura affecting tons of units that might be kinda op depending on the speed it can repair. The larger the aura is the easier it is for pathfinding but the stronger the unit is. Or it could be basically a hive that repairs one thing at a time and then we know exactly how powerful it is for the cost. Either option might work fine. And I think then the repair building would have to be unable to assist the construction of something new, or else it would break the balance. Also it could be designed to be only able to repair units, or units and buildings.

@snagglefox said in **Platinum question**:

If no fuel, then infinite range mercies. Good idea anyone? No, didn't think so.

That would barely make a difference, given how vulnerable mercies are to being shot down. It's not like it's easy to keep 5 mercies around for 10 minutes or fly them all the way across the map.

And even if you eliminate fuel requirements for other units, there's no reason that means mercies need to have fuel requirements eliminated. Mercies are already different in that they can't refuel or regenerate fuel.

I prefer to keep fuel requirements as-is, it encourages people to think about what they're doing with their planes and encourages people to make air staging. It makes the game a bit more complicated but not in a bad way.

I think some AIR units (such as T3 ASF) need to curry less fuel, units like T3 boomers tend to only have one trip.

Never Fear, A Geek is Here!

@thecore yeah, either nerf fuel tanks or remove fuel all together. Current system is pointless for many unuts.

Alternatively, could we let units consume more fuel when fighting?

@valki Just thinking abstractly here, but what if it was like a shield? As in fighting and taking damage lowers it, and It only regens under the refueling conditions. Abstract it further and have their guns stop firing when they are out of fuel. Maybe change their out of fuel mode, or bingo fuel mode to a slight speed boost to facilitate them escaping to be rearmed. Then it could be harder to actually kill enemy air units, but more advantageous, so you might have to think a bit more about ways to get those kills.

But how, ideally, does everyone imagine refueling stations working? Like don't think of balance, lore, code practicality, what fun and depth could they add to the game?

In my mind, they would boost aircraft effectiveness in a way that requires them to return. Semi-tethering them to an area. Imagine (well, first image that the air staging is just faster in general), T2 gunships who's first volley is triple damage, triple AOE. Viable for snipes here and there, but on the defensive being pushed back to their FOB they can return quicker and quicker to the front line with racks of missiles. Or T1 interceptors have speed just below that of spy planes, for 20 seconds. Allowing them to actually intercept stuff. ASF maybe with a different ability, higher AOE when fueled, or additional homing missiles... With AOE. I like AOE.
Then bombers that need to be ordered to bomb, but then rearm.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

@kalethequick No need to overcomplicate it, being out of fuel means their speed and maneuverability sucks and they are sitting ducks.

For bombers in particular it could be used to have aircraft behave like in Command & Conquer. Needing to refuel between strikes. Having air stages means more sorties per time unit.

The best use for this would probably just as another knob to be turned to finetune balance. For instance if people are unhappy with the current state of bombers, they could be restricted by fuel to only 3 bombing runs before pausing but made a lot tougher in return.

@valki said in **Platinum question**:

@kalethequick ~ sorties

Oh yes, I love that word.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

By making bomber tougher and lowering their fuel you're just massively buffing hoverbombing micro and hugely penalizing anyone that doesn't babysit their bombers.

@ftxcommando Aw shit. And I really hate hoverbombing.

Would any of the other ideas work do you think?