How to use different strategic icons

@crispweed said in How to use different strategic icons:

@jip what is the status of this now?

I tried installing "BrewLAN UI Strategic Icon Overhaul Small", which has a load of icons directly inside 'custom-strategic-icons.scd', inside the mod folder, but this doesn't seem to work, I just see the default icons.

Ah, never mind. I was testing by watching recent replays, and seems like these were from a different patch or something. Running patch 3724 now and seeing different icons with this version..

I have made myself a crude 150% icon resize mod. Somehow the textures look much worse in-game than in an image viewer so I applied a sharpen filter too; it's still rough but fairly usable. I could upload the mod but not sure about the legality given the copied textures (I also used @Emperor_Penguin's icons).

ImageMagick can handle DDS, making it quite easy to batch-convert, e.g.:

for f in strategicicons/*.dds; do convert $f -resize 150% -sharpen 100% icons150/$(basename $f); done

Question: what are the icons within the gamedata/textures.nx2 installed by FAF under ui/icons_strategic for? They are clearly not the same size or design and lack the four variants.

Just sharing the tool is a better alternative. Godd thinking of using ImageMagick - I use it in my map pipelines too.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@cyborg16 said in How to use different strategic icons:

I have made myself a crude 150% icon resize mod. Somehow the textures look much worse in-game than in an image viewer so I applied a sharpen filter too; it's still rough but fairly usable. I could upload the mod but not sure about the legality given the copied textures (I also used @Emperor_Penguin's icons).

ImageMagick can handle DDS, making it quite easy to batch-convert, e.g.:

for f in strategicicons/*.dds; do convert $f -resize 150% -sharpen 100% icons150/$(basename $f); done

Question: what are the icons within the gamedata/textures.nx2 installed by FAF under ui/icons_strategic for? They are clearly not the same size or design and lack the four variants.

They are for GazUI and the icons that show up in the buildmenus

I’m a shitty 1k Global. Any balance or gameplay suggestions should be understood or taken as such.

Project Head and current Owner/Manager of SCTA Project

For my medium icon set when just used as nxt file inside gamedata, the unscouted icons show same size as expected.

When doing it with the new mod method, unscouted icons appear as the tinier icon size.

If i add back the nxt file in gamedata while keeping the mod enabled ( in order to have the custom t4 icons for insurance) then the unscouted icons show as much larger icon size.

Thought it was maybe errant mod so i removed all files down to just the icons with same behaviour. Tried it with brewpan large icons to compare and does same thing.

So what am I missing?

🤔 , the unscouted icon may not be part of this new approach. I'll have to look at it.

my initial assumption was that the icon_land<air><etc>_generic icons were what it is suppose to use, and I re exported those dds files in case that was the issue but to no avail.

It's odd to me that having mod and nxt together file causes a super large icon to show, as I can't even find where this large icon is coming from.

I confirmed that only putting icon_XXX_generic icons in their own NXT file in gamedata at least temporarily addresses the problem.

I also found that the icon_subcommander icon support that was added a few patches back does not seem to load, but i suppose that can be added back with the manual approach, but i did want to point it out.

I also found that the icon_subcommander icon support that was added a few patches back does not seem to load, but i suppose that can be added back with the manual approach, but i did want to point it out.

I'll try to make it slightly more robust for the future, sadly - we need to take some short cuts to prevent the icons from always being loaded to begin with. Please keep the feedback coming.

edit: ignore, issue was my fault

in addition to that, i did not notice that manually setting support commanders only works for the default , not for the preset rascoms, rambo, etc. i tried seeing if there was a specific BP name for presets to change, but couldn't find them.

I noticed that the nxt file in gamedata only works if named Advanced strategic icons, otherwise log flags it as unsafe, but I assume that is built in behavior.