Notify Management: Strategic Missile Defense

Hi all!

Question: why there is no option to show a notification when someone on your team starts/finishes building a Strategic Missile Defense?

The Honorable Recall

Because it wasn't previously synced to the UI if I am correct. Therefore no UI mod could make such a notification. Do you think it may have value to have such a notification?

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in Notify Management: Strategic Missile Defense:

Because it wasn't previously synced to the UI if I am correct. Therefore no UI mod could make such a notification. Do you think it may have value to have such a notification?

I think it does have a value, at least for the first SMD that is getting built, if you see the notification, you can help your teammate to finish it and assist it in order to load it faster if necessary. No need to write or ping.

The Honorable Recall

I'm going to ask you to make an issue on Github: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/issues

That makes it easier to track. I can see why this would be beneficial.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@fiercelv If you have Advanced Strategic Icons, missile defense has higher visibility.

There aren't that many places people would normally put a missile defense, so it is easy to spot.

It would be nice if there was a way to temporarily change your view with certain "overlays"

For example, "Nuke Overlay" would un-emphasize everything that's not a nuke, maybe by making the colors much more gray, but emphasizing nuke launchers, yolos, SMDs, nuke subs, and sera BS (including units under construction) and for friendly units show how many SMD/SML are loaded. And it would turn on range rings for all SMDs even if they're not selected, with different colors for friendly and enemy SMD range. That would help to very quickly show the "nuke picture" to the commander and help to plot nuke strikes because it would be easier to tell whether a shot would be caught by enemy SMD

Maybe also a "Tactical Missile Overlay" doing the same thing for TMLs, units that fire tactical missiles, and TMD

Perhaps an "Air Overlay" emphasizing air units and anti-air weapons + their range, with the range rings different colors for friendly vs enemy. And it would include counts of ASF, friendly and unfriendly, but ONLY units that have been scouted of course. If your enemy has ASF under stealth or out of radar range it wouldn't show up in the count. And counts of interceptors and swift winds. So you can quickly get a rough estimate of each team's air strength (but obviously the estimate is only as accurate as your scouting/radar coverage)

So the idea is that you temporarily change your vision to highlight just one aspect of the game

Other overlays might be:
economy/reclaim
artillery (t2/t3/t4 and mobile t3)

this would make it very easy to quickly get a good sense of one particular thing that you're interested in.

It would be like asking an underling "tell me the nuke situation" or "tell me the air situation"

@arma473 said in Notify Management: Strategic Missile Defense:

@fiercelv If you have Advanced Strategic Icons, missile defense has higher visibility.

There aren't that many places people would normally put a missile defense, so it is easy to spot.

It would be nice if there was a way to temporarily change your view with certain "overlays"

For example, "Nuke Overlay" would un-emphasize everything that's not a nuke, maybe by making the colors much more gray, but emphasizing nuke launchers, yolos, SMDs, nuke subs, and sera BS (including units under construction) and for friendly units show how many SMD/SML are loaded. And it would turn on range rings for all SMDs even if they're not selected, with different colors for friendly and enemy SMD range. That would help to very quickly show the "nuke picture" to the commander and help to plot nuke strikes because it would be easier to tell whether a shot would be caught by enemy SMD

Maybe also a "Tactical Missile Overlay" doing the same thing for TMLs, units that fire tactical missiles, and TMD

Perhaps an "Air Overlay" emphasizing air units and anti-air weapons + their range, with the range rings different colors for friendly vs enemy. And it would include counts of ASF, friendly and unfriendly, but ONLY units that have been scouted of course. If your enemy has ASF under stealth or out of radar range it wouldn't show up in the count. And counts of interceptors and swift winds. So you can quickly get a rough estimate of each team's air strength (but obviously the estimate is only as accurate as your scouting/radar coverage)

So the idea is that you temporarily change your vision to highlight just one aspect of the game

Other overlays might be:
economy/reclaim
artillery (t2/t3/t4 and mobile t3)

this would make it very easy to quickly get a good sense of one particular thing that you're interested in.

It would be like asking an underling "tell me the nuke situation" or "tell me the air situation"

Reasoning behind this topic is not about visibility of the icons, it is about team work.

@jip said in Notify Management: Strategic Missile Defense:

I'm going to ask you to make an issue on Github: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/issues

That makes it easier to track. I can see why this would be beneficial.

Issue added.

The Honorable Recall