I cri everytim

Screenshot from 2021-08-30 15-07-19.png

I know it's a recurring topic and that we don't really know what to do there but it does kinda suck that the more time passes the more FAF simply becomes DualGap.

like the DualGap desktop client.

for some that's ok. For others (me), there's a wealth of riches being smothered out there.

where's all the Phantoms? the Nomads? the King of The Hill? The Zone Control? the Crazy Rush? the Risk Map? the Protect the Objective? the Waves of Death? the Survival?

Heck just old classics like Pizza, Badlands and open palms? or those newer and better maps made by mappers? Anchor? Rainmakers? Kaali?

Heck where did that auto-mapgen host go? that was a super good idea.

My cat killed the computer I was using to run autohost 😵

Your post is a bit of a meme post to be honest. If you ask me, this topic should be closed right off the bat.

Zone Control
36eea253-6b13-44dd-871b-05f38fc0beac-image.png

Nomads
0da73c84-752a-4fb0-b2c2-4cdad04969df-image.png

Phantom
c1a4ff40-91a1-4b24-a57c-eaa10673f333-image.png

Crazy rush:
ba1b2a01-38f1-4c6a-95c8-904354b7f51a-image.png

Survival
93964266-5ca7-4a26-ac7f-6009a9f8e8e6-image.png

Badlands
58eaa19f-833f-4379-a1d8-8a8756c390e7-image.png

Open Palms
cb28cde8-efbd-4d21-a9e8-f7d1e02a75e6-image.png

Just looking at the data through the vault, it gets played quite often. We're just not seeing a lobby in the list where someone plays with a friend against AI or plays alone in general.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Don't worry, it could be worse...

alt text

alt text

...and this is how it should look like
alt text

I think this is so wrong lol, lately I've seen 4-6 dual gaps and alot of mapgen, canis, setons, and many other maps.

FAF Website Developer

Join the ladder army tatsu, forget about custom games, they are wrong

Be the change you want to see my friend, host other maps!

nah I don't host dual gaps.

hah, yeah fair enough.

@tatsu said in I cri everytim:

Screenshot from 2021-08-30 15-07-19.png

I know it's a recurring topic and that we don't really know what to do there but it does kinda suck that the more time passes the more FAF simply becomes DualGap.

like the DualGap desktop client.

for some that's ok. For others (me), there's a wealth of riches being smothered out there.

where's all the Phantoms? the Nomads? the King of The Hill? The Zone Control? the Crazy Rush? the Risk Map? the Protect the Objective? the Waves of Death? the Survival?

Heck just old classics like Pizza, Badlands and open palms? or those newer and better maps made by mappers? Anchor? Rainmakers? Kaali?

Heck where did that auto-mapgen host go? that was a super good idea.

Yes I completely agree, there are so many good maps in the Vault and on top of that there is the map generator for endless variety.

To me, it's a shame that the vast majority of games being hosted are on a map that promotes turtle play and leaves out a lot of the good part of the normal Supreme Commander gameplay. Like being able to loose your main income and being able to take it from your opponent.
If everything is protected behind a mountain, it always makes sense to tech up as soon as possible and the game turns into a, in my opinion, very boring eco race. Dual Gap is in that regard a bit better than other maps we've seen in the past, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

Of course, people have to decide for themself what they do with their free time, but I can imagine the popularity of the map having an impact on the community. As in, it sucks all the (new) players in, making it harder to play anything else. Both for players who want to play gap, and who don't want to.

Hopefully, the TMM 3v3 and 4v4 will be a big hit.

@Intel_Wins_Games, yes of course we host different games but it would be a lot nicer if these filled as fast as dual gap. Not at every point in life there is enough time for lobby sim.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

The problem starts with new players
I myself have recently started playing Faf (a little less than a year)
Until you have 100 games it is impossible to get on any map except dual gaps or astro crater, you will be kicked from the lobby

On YouTube there are many clear guides on how to play dual gape, but no one explains how to play, for example, active maps 10 by 10
Ladder for beginners is too complicated at all, you still do not know the features of all units, each action takes 3 times longer, and your opponent will most likely already have hundreds of games and will easily kill you
And then people just get used to dual gaps, they know how to play it and there is always a lobby, so they play further

In most major online games, new players are assisted by experienced clans. But now the clans are not interested in this because it makes no sense for them to train new players. We have no clan activity. I think if we could give motivation to the clans to actively recruit and train new players (for example for clan tournaments or other events), then the situation could change

Sorry for my English. I use translator

I wouldn't mind a client mod that let people blacklist maps so matches hosted on those maps don't show up in the custom games tab. That would be the best solution to this "problem." If you don't like it, don't see it.

Trying to control how other people play a game by shaming them as inferior, by telling them that the time and effort they invest into playing is less valuable than the time that you put in, telling them that their skills are crap compared to your skills, is not very nice and not at all helpful.

@h-master said in I cri everytim:

I hope so too! 🤞

@pryanichek said in I cri everytim:

I think if we could give motivation to the clans to actively recruit and train new players (for example for clan tournaments or other events), then the situation could change

Oh yea totally forgot those exist. They are so pointless in FAF except for giving you the cool brackets in front of your name xD.

@arma473 said in I cri everytim:

I wouldn't mind a client mod that let people blacklist maps so matches hosted on those maps don't show up in the custom games tab.

It would be interesting to have some more advanced game filters. Probably it hasn't been done yet because we don't really have enough lobbies at any given time to make it necessary. But TBH I don't think it would be too hard to program even for beginners so if someone wants to try adding it that would be cool!

Ladder for beginners is too complicated at all, you still do not know the features of all units, each action takes 3 times longer, and your opponent will most likely already have hundreds of games and will easily kill you

I cri everytim a newcomer believes he can't play ladder because he will only face mega pros that will stomp them. You might get unlucky the first few games as the system doesn't know where you to place you, but after a few losses, you will definitely only play against people as good(bad?) as you.

(Of course, the real issue is that there might not be enough players of your rank in the queue)

Also, I do not know your timezone, but I see a good number of all welcome lobbies when I play, you should only be kicked if you join rank-restricted games (or if your CPU is bad).

Well you could try 2 methods
Stick
Have 1 day a month/week where no player can host a dual gap, astro creator, seton's clutch etc. Forcing players to try something new. (though i think users would just find a workaround)

Carrot
Offer rewards for trying new maps.

Never Fear, A Geek is Here!

The problem starts with new players
I myself have recently started playing Faf (a little less than a year)
Until you have 100 games it is impossible to get on any map except dual gaps or astro crater, you will be kicked from the lobby

Did you try going through the campaign first? When I first got the game in 2007 I played through all three campaigns before going to multiplayer. That gave a great feel to the units and the game mechanics.
Now it's even better since you can play the campaign with the multiplayer balance modifications in place.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

Trying to control how other people play a game by shaming them as inferior, by telling them that the time and effort they invest into playing is less valuable than the time that you put in, telling them that their skills are crap compared to your skills, is not very nice and not at all helpful.

Yes, I agree that we should treat each other with respect of course.

An analogy came to mind. Let's say FAF is like football (soccer). With the original game, you are allowed to run. With turtle maps, you are only allowed to walk.
The people who run during the game, say hey this game is way more fun when you are allowed to run. There are many more possibilities. It's a shame everyone is walking and we have trouble getting enough people for the games where people are allowed to run.
Maybe the analogy sucks, but that's for me at least the sentiment, I am having with this situation.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

@auricocorico said in I cri everytim:

Join the ladder army tatsu, forget about custom games, they are wrong

I think this is a good point, TMM will draw competitive players away from custom where dualgap remains. It is probably not as bad ass it seems.

Though I want to repeat an ironic but good suggestion by FtXCommando to make a Dualgap matchmaker. Back then I only saw the advantages of catering to the needs of a large group, but added to that now:

• Opportunity to at some point have a separate DualGap ranking
  • Custom game lobby consists of more original games and is thus more inviting

After 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 I believe there are 2 slots free right?

After 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 I believe there are 2 slots free right?

The limitation of only 6 queues because of display reasons no longer exists in the client.

I think mapgen has been great. There's been plenty of mapgen games going up, and it's not hard to fill one if you host yourself.

But honestly I think the main problem is there's just no real easy way to learn the game for brand new players. They basically get shoehorned into gap, astro, etc. Then they stay there because learning other maps is a big step. Setons for example, you need to learn a build for every spot and most good players just don't want to deal with having a noob on their team.

I think FAF could really benefit from new tutorial system that teaches general build orders that can be used on a bunch of maps, especially mapgen as well as getting into more advanced builds for popular maps like setons, twin rivers, open palms etc. As well as tutorials on specifics such as manual reclaiming, unit build orders in factories, scouting, eco management, things like that. Ideally this would be integrated into the FAF client for easy access.

Obviously that would be a ton of work, but I think it would be great for players trying to learn. As it is, it's basically try a new map, lose a bunch, get bitched out a ton for being bad, watch replays of better players and try to work out their builds for yourself.

@askaholic said in I cri everytim:

@h-master said in I cri everytim:

I hope so too! 🤞

I think if we could give motivation to the clans to actively recruit and train new players (for example for clan tournaments or other events), then the situation could change

Oh yea totally forgot those exist. They are so pointless in FAF except for giving you the cool brackets in front of your name xD.

I wouldn't mind a client mod that let people blacklist maps so matches hosted on those maps don't show up in the custom games tab.

It would be interesting to have some more advanced game filters. Probably it hasn't been done yet because we don't really have enough lobbies at any given time to make it necessary. But TBH I don't think it would be too hard to program even for beginners so if someone wants to try adding it that would be cool!

Clan Features when bb

Developer for LOUD Project | https://discord.gg/DfWXMg9
AI Development FAF Discord | https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3
AI Developer for FAF

Community Manager for FAF
Member of the FAF Association
FAF Developer