Stop putting small rocks everywhere

Yes, having reclaim on the map adds something to the map. But what's the point of having everything divided in those little shitty 5-10 mass rocks? We all now FA doesn't have good area reclaim commands. Manually clicking is always going to be more efficient. Yes I can click on a rock and yes I still do it, but it is just pure torture. Clicking a rock is not the epitome of skill, nor enjoyment, so why are they there? It's not some ultra pro tradeoff of APM vs eco, it's just dumbly clicking the same 50 rocks every time you play a map. Just put them together in bigger rocks. If reclaim is too fast then adjust that or reduce the total reclaim mass.

Manually clicking on tiny rocks only matters when you're playing in a tournament and even then it only matters in the first minute or two.

You can easily play the game without it and still get ~1800 rating. I for sure did.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Why introduce it at all? I adds nothing except more clicking.

To me it adds depth and choice, allowing you to make the wrong one. For example: if you choose to click on rocks but then lose a small skirmish with 2 of your own bots against 1 then you for sure made the wrong call.

Fields of rocks look better than a few monoliths.
Though there is something to be said for separating rocks and trees.

@cptant please list the names of the cards that you are not satisfied with?

@jip I already said this in the OP. Clicking a rock is not some mastermind tactical choice.

@cptant Clicking rocks doesn't require a mastermind. But knowing when to click rocks and when not to requires quite a bit of experience (same as with ecoing). Generally you are getting a good factor of two by reclaiming manually over using attackmove:
89ad722a-217c-45b7-be80-d8a1909afda3-image.png
So it is not a huge improvenemt. Do it when you have time to, which should be only be a very small portion of the game. Otherwise multiple engineers on attackmove is what you should get used to.

This has probably been stated many times before, but balance by bad UI is a terrible practise. All you are doing is wasting peoples time because they are fighting the game in telling their units what to do. Of course the game shouldn't make decisions for you, but clicking a rock is the most mundane of things.

Having fewer, but bigger rocks has no disadvantage at all.

Is the rock mix manual reclaim with move commands for optimal engie positioning or just reclaim orders?

@harzernoob said in Stop putting small rocks everywhere:

@cptant Clicking rocks doesn't require a mastermind. But knowing when to click rocks and when not to requires quite a bit of experience (same as with ecoing). Generally you are getting a good factor of two by reclaiming manually over using attackmove:
89ad722a-217c-45b7-be80-d8a1909afda3-image.png
So it is not a huge improvenemt. Do it when you have time to, which should be only be a very small portion of the game. Otherwise multiple engineers on attackmove is what you should get used to.

@aulex I don't remember anymore but I made sure to not do horrible paths.

This is why attack move is a thing. Send an engie in the right general direction and forget about it.
Also, how is manually reclaiming small rocks worse than manually reclaiming wrecks on a battlefield?

Yeah, I also dont like it, I think the fine motor skill aspect of it is counter to my idea of the game. But I also have shaky hands sometimes and just can't master the reclaim clicking. I would make a script to automate it, but that would be cheating.

I do however, find the rocks aesthetically pleasing to the map. I want to make a selection of statues to put on maps I make to be larger chunks of reclaim, while still looking cool.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

I feel you CPTANT, also hate this aspect of the game, it's not very fun, it's not very rewarding or satisfying ... As Thomas once put it, it's just like vaccuming your house, a boring chores you have to do ahah.

I wish map designer would put less little rocks in their future maps. If those rocks are for decorative purpose, just use other models that contain no mass (maybe we could make alternate version of the existing rocks, where they contain no mass).

This being said, it's not much of a problem at low-medium level. As others said, just use automated reclaim (patrol, attack move) and you'll do just fine on most maps. It only becomes mandatory to use some manual reclaim when you aim for the top level, and even pros are most of the time lazy about it, manual reclaim is just something you do in the very early game.

@auricocorico said in Stop putting small rocks everywhere:

I wish map designer would put less little rocks in their future maps. If those rocks are for decorative purpose, just use other models that contain no mass (maybe we could make alternate version of the existing rocks, where they contain no mass). Same as those maps that have loose trees mixed with rocks, you make manual reclaim absolutely mandatory.

You would still reclaim 0 mass rocks and therefore it would actually make the problem worse by noobtrapping those that attack or patrol move through wasted engie time.

People overstate how critical 5-15 mass rocks are, not even Blackheart has the motivation nor need to spam click the rocks on Syrtis to beat everyone aside from like maybe 2 dudes on FAF.

You micro the little rock early reclaim for your first few factories when you have nothing else to do, particularly at a high level, since you already know the meta and don’t need to worry about the “thinking” step until min 5. If you don’t know the meta, thinking about what would be best to do will make you play better than clicking like a madman.

What about adding "rock groups" similar to "tree groups" but for rocks? A single entity as far as reclaim is concerned, but aesthetically it looks like many rocks.

That solves the problem aesthetically, no idea how that impacts gameplay

ie:
do you make “10 small rocks” rock group equal the mass of 10 “small rocks” as now you have significantly faster scale for significantly lower effort.

Arguably this already exists with Ditch/Daroza “rock groups” that equal 250-750 mass but mappers intentionally do not use them as the scale is waaaaaay too quick for what they are trying to do.

We also have like 200-300 matchmaker maps that now need to get “FAF versions” applied to them using the new concept (after agreeing on what is a good value that doesn’t destroy the gameplay on a lot of maps) or we just accept we have the idiosyncrasies of not being able to trust whether things are small rocks vs rock groups similar to the issue for tree groups vs singular trees that new players face.

Those rock groups already exist in geothermal maps (moon-like maps). See also Daroza Sanctuary, if I got the name right. 1v1v1v1 GPG map.

@jip said in Stop putting small rocks everywhere:

Those rock groups already exist in geothermal maps (moon-like maps). See also Daroza Sanctuary, if I got the name right. 1v1v1v1 GPG map.

So we just need similar rock models that have a bit less mass, because 175 is too much. I'm thinking 20-50 is what we'd want.

If there is a problem with putting big rocks because it gives mass to fast can try wrecks, wrecks take twice more time to reclaim.. it is still insanely fast but still.

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd