AI Development Guide and M27AI v5 Devlog

Not exactly an AI comment, but you wanna have things right, right? 🙂

"Lua" (pronounced LOO-ah) means "Moon" in Portuguese. As such, it is neither an acronym nor an abbreviation, but a noun. More specifically, "Lua" is a name, the name of the Earth's moon and the name of the language. Like most names, it should be written in lower case with an initial capital, that is, "Lua". Please do not write it as "LUA", which is both ugly and confusing, because then it becomes an acronym with different meanings for different people. So, please, write "Lua" right!

Thanks, I'll reflect the correct case usage of Lua in the next version of the guide (I'll probably update it whenever I release an AI update so the two are in sync)

So I decided I might actually post something more relevant 🙂

Full stops vs colons – continuing the above example, oUnit.GetUnitId() will return an error, but oUnit:GetUnitId() won’t.

It's maybe worth mentioning why that happens. oUnit:GetUnitId() is syntactic sugar for oUnit.GetUnitId(self). So if you wanna you the version with . you have to pass self as first arg.

F9 opens up the debug window (you may want to change the game resolution to windowed to more easily access this).

That's a log window, not debug. You can open the debugger with Ctrl+F9 or /debug and that's way better for debugging then trying to print things into the log. Since it works as any debugger you are used to, pauses the execution on the line you seleceted and lets you see whats inside global and local variables.

The below link also appears to give a list of core/global functions that can be used (I’ve not tested these to see if they all work, or even if they’re for FAF rather than SupCom2):
https://supcom.fandom.com/wiki/LUADOC_1.5.3599

It is for FA, some of these functions are documented here https://github.com/FAForever/fa/tree/deploy/fafdevelop/engine

I’m not using Github since I’m working on this on my own, and since I doubt I can get the same ease of use I currently have with changing something offline and instantly seeing the results in-game after a Ctrl+F10 restart. However, Github is used by a number of the AI developers so there’s likely some significant benefits to it.

Git is very useful even if you're working alone, as you have history of changes and you can easily switch to previous versions if something breaks. The game can use files from any location, so for my development, it uses files from my local git repo. It's just a matter of setting your own init file https://github.com/FAForever/fa#running-the-game-with-your-changes

To keep things simple (as I couldn’t get more complex builderconditions{} with multiple variables to work, despite seeing it being used in other AIs people have done)

So build conditions are defined in a table

BuildConditions = {
    {BMBC, 'BaseEngineersEnabled', {self.BaseName}},
    {BMBC, 'BaseBuildingEngineers', {self.BaseName}},
    {BMBC, 'HighestFactoryLevel', {i, self.BaseName}},
    {BMBC, 'FactoryCountAndNeed', {i, j, pType, self.BaseName}},
    {BMBC, 'BaseActive', {self.BaseName}},
},

so here, you have 5 build conditions, each in it's own table.

local BMBC = '/lua/editor/BaseManagerBuildConditions.lua'

first value ( BMBC) in the table is thr path the file you wanna use
second one ('BaseEngineersEnabled') is name of the function in that file to use
third ({self.BaseName}) is table of arguments to pass into that function
AI brain is always passed as first argument, and then all other that you specify in the table

So you could rewrite your example to this:

-- Inside the builder
BuilderConditions = {
    {MIBC, 'Is1NearbyMex', {11}}
},

-- Inside MiscBuildConditions.lua
function Is1NearbyMex(aiBrain, distance)
    local iNearbyMex = MapInfo.RecordMexNearStartPosition(Utilities.GetAIBrainArmyNumber(aiBrain), distance, true)
    if iNearbyMex == 1 then
        return true
    end
    return false
end

This way you can already specify the distance for chehcking the nearby mexes.

Determine com start position

This function should do the trick 🙂
brain:GetArmyStartPos()

To help with this, I first wanted to understand what the various variables feeding into it were, so made use of the log function for each variable in turn; where it returned an error due to being a table value that I was trying to put into the log

Best would be to use the debugger to see whats what, as you can open the tables.
But if you really wanna dump the table into the log you have to use LOG(repr(table))

@speed2
Thanks, in particular for the debug window - I expect using that would've drastically cut my debugging time! I'll update for your comments in the latest version.

Unfortunately I can't get the debug window to work for me (I just get an error message) and some other people have had the same problem. Asking in the AI discord Jip thought that you need to do an install from the cd version of the game not steam but that you may know the exact procedure?

Error message below in case it helps:
DebugWindow.png

unpack this https://mega.nz/file/VlRCXajY#UMsAx9IR1dIOqX72bPpOYytR6FS3zO1DGVPT2AhSPAY
into \THQ\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance\coderes\Engine

@speed2
Don't think I've got that folder with the steam install, I've got the following:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
(this doesn't have a coderecs folder, and adding one in doesnt resolve the issue)

I've also got the FAF location:
C:\ProgramData\FAForever
same issue as with the steamapps folder

(just in case I also tried the \Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance folder but no luck).

Is there anywhere else I may have missed for a steam version?

Although I'd hoped I'd got the CDs for both as well, checking I've only got the CD for the original supcom so cant try a fresh install via disc.

It belong to the game instalation folders, and fast few ppl having this issue resolved it by creating those folders

@maudlin27

I am not finished reading your guide, but excellent work so far!

v4 changes (in reality v2, but when I uploaded the mod on its first release I had to rush out a couple of hotfixes where I'd forgotten to remove debug logic and accidently introduced a bug that affected all games!)

• Fixed various bugs (see 3.14.3)
  • Slightly improved pathfinding performance (see 3.15)
  • New AI logic which will detect enemy threats and send units to deal with them (see 3.16)
  • New AI logic which attempts to maintain intel over the map to stop surprise attacks (see 3.17)

I've also updated the guide to reflect speed2's comments (as well as a couple of other minor points/sections, such as a bit on uploading a mod and some tests that I now run before uploading)

I am stunned.

Really good work, maudlin27!

v5 changes - these were mostly about the ACU, making it more aggressive and less suicidal

• Fixed various bugs and improved some error handling (see 3.18.4)
    ACU improvements (see 3.19):
  • ACU will try to expand to high reclaim or mex locations, while building on mexes it comes across and reclaiming
  • ACU will have scout and MAA support
  • ACU tries to kite enemies it comes across
  • ACU uses manual overcharge to overcharge optimal targets

Also updated the guide slightly to add details of the AI development discord channel in FAF (separate to the main AI development discord), and a couple of common hard crash errors

v6 Hotfix - My AI broke with the recent FAF patch, so this is primarily to fix that. I was in the middle of more extensive changes so my AI is less stable than I'd like but I figured it's better than a broken one! I've also held off on updating the dev log for this release.

Main changes made:

• ACU performs better underwater (reclaims units, tries to move to nearby land when it cant shoot)
  • Improvements to ACU overcharge behaviour (it should OC when retreating, and also positions better against enemy PD)
  • Switch to new error handling approach (orange messages now appear in the log with more detail; this also happens when any ACU dies)

Issues currently present I'm aware of (which shouldnt have a noticeably detrimental impact on performance, but will be noticeable to anyone looking at the log):

• 'MergeLocations' error message on certain maps - should just mean larger platoons dont regroup at a midpoint before attacking
  • 'MexRaider' warning about the final waypoint - in most cases just affects which mexes are targetted (in rare cases might cause a delay in the platoon doing anything)
  • 'Stuttering'/delays in performance on certain maps (e.g. open palms)