Introducing Mapgen Week on Ladder

@archsimkat said in Introducing Mapgen Week on Ladder:

Mapgen Week is now live on Ladder!

The 1v1 ladder map pool is only 5x5 and 10x10 Mapgen for under 1000 rated players and only 5x5, 10x10, and 20x20 Mapgen for over 1000 rated players for the duration of the next week. Get laddering!

I got a 20x20 map being 820 rated with an 820 rated opponent. Not complaining though, those were nice maps, very happy to finally play on 20x20 good maps.

all neroxis maps are good but still 33% of 20x20 is too much
imagine to play almost an hour and then lose it
1 hour of time, and for what?
5x5 and 10x10 value your time much more than 20x20, that's why i dont love what we have for now

pls make 20x20 less likely :C
too much time for too small amount of games

that's a personal issue,some doods play only 20x20's and enjoy it,so you'd probably get the same question towards you,why wasting their time if you want to play anything but 20x20?

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

33% does seem kinda high for ladder.

This discrimination against 5x5 maps on FAF is unacceptable. At least give them the same level of representation as 20x20 maps in ladder and tournaments.

We need to move past the trinary mindset. When is the mapgen going to make 8x8s, 12x12s, 8x12s, etc.?

@arma473 Only if we also get mapgen 1x20.

@askaholic The ratio of maps will be subject to change, which is why I didn't mention it specifically in the post.

@archsimkat Being able to separately (multi-) queue for 5x5, 10x10 and 20x20 random maps would be great... (long term) - I like them all but for which ones I queue would depend on my time. 5x5 queue would be great for during work-breaks 🙂

I don't play 20x20 map a lot on ladder, but I try play it (a lot of these games I lost, but it's not problem). For me it's very difficult when 20x20 map has 33% chance in mapgen pool. In 20x20 map you have big chance that game will be more than 30 min. One good side of ladder is quick games, which usually during work-breaks, break between classes at the university. I have nothing against maps, but pls do chance of 20x20 minimum (10-15%. Ok 20% will be great, not 33%) and more players will play ladder

I'm loving it already, please make it 4ever ! (never played ladder so much)

one day I will find the supreme commander

the problem with with map gen is most of the map gen maps tend to be small, low mexes maps, as someone who is disabled and plays with only one hand, I hate those types of maps because I feel it usually comes down who has the better micro and the games are over by the 10min mark, unlike lager 1010 or 2020 where eco and strategy play a bigger role. I have bad apm because of my disability. but hey what do I know I'm just a 800 rated player.
Random thought would it better if you could veto 1 or 2 maps from the map pool like in other games

@Ati You're the first player I've been made aware of that's disabled.

I'd be super curious to see how we can make the UI more friendly or if there are physical integrations (Xbox adaptive controller) that are within the realm of possibility to help support better disabled game play.

Let's not hijack this thread though, if you're interested DM me and we can open a separate thread.

Just for information the low Mex style mapgen has an appearance rate of about 13% on 10km maps

The whole map generation and download, could that be disrupting game launch?

The percentage of failed game launches has increased massively.

@sheikah Is there anywhere we could see a breakdown for what is the % chance for a map type on a given map size?

i do wonder when/in what form we can give feedback ?
is this thread for that ? or is there going too be a poll/thread at the end of the week where we can do that ?

@valki that’s possible. Mapgens take longer to start because both players have to generate the map which takes a while. When you say they fail to start, do you mean stuck in automatch or the “match cancelled” indicator?

@chriskila000 said in Introducing Mapgen Week on Ladder:

i do wonder when/in what form we can give feedback ?
is this thread for that ? or is there going too be a poll/thread at the end of the week where we can do that ?

I have not discussed with the entire team yet, but I would like to do the following:

Once the map gen week concludes we ( ladder team ) shall construct a feedback thread with a set of

1. Questions everyone should answer (TBD to be discussed)

2. look at some example maps - with screenshots - and discuss reactions ( for example, 10x10 maps which have two lanes, one giant mound of terrain in center ) to get some reference points

3. Take a look at some win / loss ratios of players during regular ladder verse mapgen week to see if there’s a correlation to skill where impromptu strategy is used verse “prebuilt.” This obviously should be taken too harshly as it’s only one week, but absolutely interesting nonetheless.

4. Is the ratio of map sizes acceptable?

5. Do specific map sizes have any specific trends that stick out more than others?

6. Open comments/ suggestions

@Swkoll
Here is the current distribution by style. Each number can be viewed as the percentage. Values from 0 to 1.

20km : BIG_ISLANDS: 0.25, CENTER_LAKE: 0.06, BASIC: 0.06, DROP_PLATEAU: 0.03, LAND_BRIDGE: 0.13, LITTLE_MOUNTAIN: 0.06, ONE_ISLAND: 0.06, SMALL_ISLANDS: 0.25, VALLEY: 0.06, HIGH_RECLAIM: 0.02, FLOODED: 0.00

10km: CENTER_LAKE: 0.13, BASIC: 0.13, DROP_PLATEAU: 0.06, LITTLE_MOUNTAIN: 0.13, MOUNTAIN_RANGE: 0.13, ONE_ISLAND: 0.13, VALLEY: 0.13, HIGH_RECLAIM: 0.03, LOW_MEX: 0.13, FLOODED: 0.00

5km: BASIC: 0.21, DROP_PLATEAU: 0.11, LITTLE_MOUNTAIN: 0.21, MOUNTAIN_RANGE: 0.21, HIGH_RECLAIM: 0.05, LOW_MEX: 0.21